Multiplying a shorter loop (real-time performance Style)

Hey there pals

One lil thing I’m having trouble with is multiplyung or virtual multiplying of a loop while performing.

This could be done with tape, or a sequencer, but because of the design of the op1, I find it cumbersome.

Let me elaborate a little more…

If I record a loop to tape of say a 1 bar drum beat. In order to copy paste this loop, and have it paste back at its own start point on the tape, I need to hit stop. But if I hit stop, I have very limited time to make the dead air seem like a little intentional break. I have practised the key strokes, ie. (From memory, it’s something like) Stop, lift, drop, drop, play… But the op1 can’t always seem to keep up with my Spider fingers. The above key strokes give you a double of the 1 bar beat, you can then adjust the loop points manually, or use shift+scissor to join the two loops then shift+loop to loop all. Is this the work around others are using? If I want a longer arrangement, it gets more problematic, I would kinda prefer to have a sequencer or independent Looper playing the beat in the background… BUT I’m open to different workflows. What are your ideas / hacks?

Here’s some other ideas, along with associated problems

1. Use album record to have up to 6 minutes of loop

Cons. A) only up to 6 minutes of loops. B) not a “real time” solution as you have to record (for 6 minutes of boring loop to get it there)… Not really viable?

1. Use a long delay effect on the master to fill the space to allow for longer cut and paste operations on the tape

Cons. A) stressful? Haha
Pros. A) fun?

1. Use the loop mode in the drum sample engine to keep a loop going in the background…

2. Use a sequencer to keep a beat going in the background

Cons. A) Not really viable as only one sequencer can be running at a time, plus if I have the drum engine playing a sequenced beat, I can’t even run the synth engine at all… Is there a workaround?

PS. I am looking at a setup using other looping devices such as a loop pedal, capable of looping. Looking at midi sync too, but I am very keen to see how far I can push the op-1 on its lonesome. I see some peeps making some crazy live shizz on the op

Appreciate any and all advice.

Happy musicing

I’m quite new to the OP-1, but your list of limitations and possible solutions looks exhaustive to me, and I think a looping pedal is going to be the easiest solution performance-wise.

I have been just creating a loop on the tape on one track, 2 -4 bars for example, and building onto that, really really tweakable with the 4 different tracks. Infinite loop possibilities and soloing tracks is quite nice for performance

Its really very simple, unless there is something I am missing in what you are trying to do.
I have been just creating a loop on the tape on one track, 2 -4 bars for example, and building onto that, really really tweakable with the 4 different tracks. Infinite loop possibilities and soloing tracks is quite nice for performance
Its really very simple, unless there is something I am missing in what you are trying to do.

Well, I want to be able to have a shorter loop play repeatedly while I play longer progressions underneath… I would love to be able to do this without the long process of copy, paste, paste, paste, paste (x 100).

I'm quite new to the OP-1, but your list of limitations and possible solutions looks exhaustive to me, and I think a looping pedal is going to be the easiest solution performance-wise.

Yeah, good point. Maybe I should just focus on using the loop pedal…

Not quite what your looking for I suspect… but…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsTGM-SWus
Not quite what your looking for I suspect... but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwsTGM-SWus

Thanks Steve. That’s all cool, but as you say, not really what I’m after. All the stuff on the above vid has been pre-arranged. Thanks anyway, though :slight_smile:

yeah you can’t quite do what you’d like to…

but you can re-sample and resequence without stopping the tape.

i made this vid using a technique someone else suggested (can’t remember who, but if it’s you please sing out and take credit!)

it’s a little long, but you can see how loops can develop with some planning and a combination of some of the workarounds you already suggested for yourself.

hopefully it’ll spark an idea or two. :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/sgqBO8Qumx4

yeah you can't quite do what you'd like to...

but you can re-sample and resequence without stopping the tape.

i made this vid using a technique someone else suggested (can't remember who, but if it's you please sing out and take credit!)

it's a little long, but you can see how loops can develop with some planning and a combination of some of the workarounds you already suggested for yourself.

hopefully it'll spark an idea or two. :)

https://youtu.be/sgqBO8Qumx4

</div

Ah, cool! I particularly liked your use of the sequencer, I wonder if I can complete lift+drop operations while the sequencer is playing. I would assume so… New inspiration! Huzzah

yes you can!

if you lift/drop whilst the tape is running there will be a drop in audio for a fraction of a second, but effects and sequencers keep running.

glad it gave you some food for thought! the same thing happened to me when someone suggested it / pointed it out.

combined with the new arp in trig mode this gets even more fun.

not sure if you noticed on this recording but the first sound layer that is re-sampled and re-sequenced is also duplicated on tracks 3 and 4 to create a stereo field. i reversed the sequencer on track 4 to get a slight variation of the rhythm.
yes you can!

if you lift/drop whilst the tape is running there will be a drop in audio for a fraction of a second, but effects and sequencers keep running.

glad it gave you some food for thought! the same thing happened to me when someone suggested it / pointed it out.

not sure if you noticed on this recording but the first sound layer that is re-sampled and re-sequenced is also duplicated on tracks 3 and 4 to create a stereo field. i reversed the sequencer on track 4 to get a slight variation of the rhythm.

Very nice!

yes you can!

Are you taking part in the current battle? I think it’ll be my first.