HOWTO: Add a sound to an existing drumkit

Don’t know if this has already been mentioned… Sometimes you just want to add one or two sounds to an existing drumkit. Since classic lift & drop does not work here, I discovered a workaround for this:

Lift the drumkit and drop it on tape. CAUTION: the beginning contains a lot of noise, it’s the meta data of the drumkit! Don’t modify that part! Go to the end of the tape portion, and record the sounds you want to add to the drumkit (you may also cut some existing sounds you don’t need to get some extra sample time). Be careful not to exceed the maximum drumkit sample length of 12 seconds. When done, join the new recorded slices to the rest of the drumkit (SHIFT + CUT). Then lift and drop back into DRUM mode. Now you just need to map the new sounds to the keys (adjust sample start and end points, etc.).
1 Like

Nice one!

I’ve been looking for a way to do this for such a looooong time !!!

Thank you @Motone !!!

Please add this to the Tips and Tricks thread so that this brilliant technique doesn’t get lost !

@LyingDalai Done :wink:

Cool, thx @motone :smiley:

Excellent! (monty burns voice)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Nice. I actually posted a while back asking if this was possible and nobody suggested this!

I tried it out yesterday and it’s definitely easier to add new sounds onto the end (vs. replacing/adding a sound in the middle of thie kit) so you don’t have to remap all the keys again.

I’m not sure I follow the whole procedure. If someone could post a YouTube video, that would be very appreciated.

The things I didn’t get (say I have a drumkit with the first 7 keys occupied by samples):
(1) how exactly do I “lift the drumkit and drop it on tape”?
(2) how exactly do I “lift and drop back into drum mode”?

… Again, a YouTube video can often be more effective than large chunks of text :slight_smile:

I'm not sure I follow the whole procedure. If someone could post a YouTube video, that would be very appreciated.

The things I didn't get (say I have a drumkit with the first 7 keys occupied by samples):
(1) how exactly do I "lift the drumkit and drop it on tape"?
(2) how exactly do I "lift and drop back into drum mode"?

… Again, a YouTube video can often be more effective than large chunks of text :)

Literally use the lift and drop button, lift from sampler, drop in tape, add sounds, merge tape track, lift and drop back to sampler

sorry to resurrect this old thread, but couldn’t find any other discussion on this!

I am trying to execute this (with the field, not OG) and when I drop back to the drum sampler (from the tape, after adding new sounds to the end) , I lose my markers. Is this feature exclusive to the OG?

Regrettably it is. I reached out to TE and they said that the manual even has a misprint about it. They switched file formats so there is not the noisy metadata anymore. If you opened an OG1 sound in Audacity and looked at the “Comments” field in the metadata, it showed the ADSR and other settings but sounds from the field do not do this now.

Bummer.
psound74

1 Like