Recording OP-1 in a tape four track Fostex X-18 - Ghost in the machine/weird radio tunning

Hello!

Today I was doing some tape experiments with my OP-1 using an old Fostex X-18 four tracker that I inherited from my father. However, I found a really weird phenomenon happening: when i put the maximum level of the channels 3 and 4, I tune the Fostex to a FM radio station! The same thing don´t happen with channel 1 and 2 (which at the maximum level I just get discrete noise). Any ideas what is happening? (i´m not using the OP-1 radio, btw).

Should I email Legowelt asking his technical opinion? :slight_smile:

Embrace the madness!!!

must be the other side of the tape playing backwards

What Luka said!

Swap your 1-2 cables with 3-4 and see if you can duplicate it on 1-2.

Back in the day I would get the same thing with my 909 when used with a shitty behringer mixer. It produced some interesting albeit naive results (I was 17). Anyhow, I know nothing about radio but I put it down to some oxidation in the cables.

You might see the following disclaimer on certain devices that I pulled from stack exchange electrical engineering

<p style=“margin: 0px 0px 1em; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-size: 15px; clear: both; color: rgb(36, 39, 41); font-family: Verdana, “Bitstream Vera Sans”, “DejaVu Sans”, Tahoma, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);”>FCC Title 47, Part 15 section 5.b should clarify this for you:<blockquote style=“margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding-top: 10px; padding-bottom: 10px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 2px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: initial; border-left-style: solid; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: initial; border-left-color: rgb(255, 235, 142); border-image: initial; font-size: 15px; quotes: none; background-color: rgb(255, 249, 227); color: rgb(36, 39, 41); font-family: Verdana, “Bitstream Vera Sans”, “DejaVu Sans”, Tahoma, Geneva, Arial, sans-serif; font-style: normal;”>

(b) Operation of an intentional, unintentional, or incidental radiator is subject to the conditions … that interference must be accepted that may be caused by the operation of an authorized radio station, by another intentional or unintentional radiator, by industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) equipment, or by an incidental radiator.

Interesting you brought this up. I believe you!

@thorange a friend told me that can be my unbalanced cables; searching about Radio Frequency Interference I found that It´s probably what is happening. Because the mysterious interference only appears on two of the 4 tracks (@Catmandeux) and when I max the levels, I think that I will not bother about it and buy expensive balanced cables :stuck_out_tongue: I will live with the ghost.

:slight_smile: the ghost might only make an appearance now for only a while so try to make the most out of it while you can like others have suggested. They are temperamental.