NEW OP-1: How to charge right?

got mine new OP-1 delivered today and as it is written in the manual:

»the first thing you should do is to connect your OP-1 to a computer (or optional charger) via the USB port located on the right side of the unit. make sure to keep your OP-1 connected until you have fully charged the internal battery.«

pressing the HELP-button doesnt work when the unit is switched off, right? for now, the unit is still blinking and doesnt react when i press the HELP-button. it is loading for an hour now, as i read in other threads it can take from 2-6 hours, right?

how to make sure that the battery is full without switching it on to press the HELP-button?

or can i switch it on while loading and the important fact is that it is loading, no matter if switched on or off?

thanks

Comments

  • The charging indicator lights on mine all stay lit up for a few minutes, then totally shut off when charging is complete. FYI if you are charging from a USB on a computer it will take FOREVER. Mine takes 6-8 hours to charge from almost empty to full on USB, but if I plug into my iPhone wall plug its only about an hour or two. 

    Also, on the previous software the battery level indicator (found by pressing "help" when the unit is on, as you said) was broken, but seems to be working on the new update. When I first got it the charge level lights worked fine, but after one or two charges they just always showed two lights no matter what. Now that its updated its working fine again. 

    Just know that if it does this its not a big deal, it still holds the same charge. You can get a ton of usage out of a single charge.
  • My experience is that in order to get a more or less accurate indication of battery level, you always have to charge the device only when it is turend on. If you charge it in when powered off, the battery level indicator gets out of sync.
    Has it been improved? I don't find it optimal for battery lifetime charging it while in use.
  • Mine just arrived also ;) it's ok to use it while it's charging for the first time right ? 

    Really want to go through all the manual...
  • did you also grab one from amazon during the price-glitch last week?

    i charged the op-1 the first time switched off over night with usb from mac and everything works fine now. 
  • Grabbed from thomann. 

    I charged it while using and reading the manual, couldn't resist. I guess it's no problem it will be used like that a lot so..
  • Oko said:

    Grabbed from thomann. 

    OFF topic:
    From thomann? Hey, is your device perfect? To be honest I ordered two hardwares from thomann, both had issues. The first one (an Octatrack) had to be returned for a refund immediately as it had no output. I ordered an OP-1 instead of a replacement, and the screen on it is "smudgy". But it works otherwise :)
  • I was wondering if anyboby could tell me if leaving your OP-1 charging for an extended period of time (say 15 hours) will damage your battery by shortening its life.
  • Define "perfect" ahah....I guess it's far from perfect but I was already expecting that. Only thing I noticed mechanically was that one of the D and G buttons have a different click feel to it. 

    Besides that I noticed yesterday that I can ear some high pitched audio with the built-in microphone, something similar to the sound of a screen working on my microgranny or tascam DR-40 on the previous firmware. 

    I don't think I noticed anything else hardware related....software I'm yet to be able to make perfect loops without clicking and most times when I lift some audio it will leave some clicks and pops that I must record silence over it and lift-drop again to erase them. 

    Regarding the battery, there's a lot of threads around speculating about it. I think I will keep mine charging most of the time except when I'm using it as a tool in the studio for audio manipulation because of the ground loop. 


  • Oko said:


    Regarding the battery, there's a lot of threads around speculating about it. I think I will keep mine charging most of the time except when I'm using it as a tool in the studio for audio manipulation because of the ground loop. 


    I wouldn't suggest you to always charge the battery as it shortens its lifetime significantly as far as I know.
  • The battery indicator issue hasn't been improved in #218 yet. I started charging in power off mode when only one led was lit. I charged it fully up. However turning the device on again still one led is lit :D I have to re-calibrate the battery level indicator again.
  • edited January 2017
    Guys, need halp. I'm trying to calibrate battery of OP-1, and it shows some random results. When I discharge OP-1 till it's dead, and then connect it to charge, leds show "full charge" (fill up and go dark) right after I connect it to usb. Is it a normal thing and I just need to wait till its fully charged? Previously OP-1 was showing "pinging" battery life (on "help" press) for 10 hours. :\

    upd: okay, it now shows charging with "walking" indicators. Little bastard creeps me out everytime. 
  • I drained the battery completely empty and just wanted to charge it again using my iPad adapter. Problem: the led indicators don't move at all, no matter if it's on or off. So is it charging now?
  • I drained the battery completely empty and just wanted to charge it again using my iPad adapter. Problem: the led indicators don't move at all, no matter if it's on or off. So is it charging now?

    Yeah, when it's fully discharged it might need some time so they start blinking
  • In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

    I haven't made a thorough test anyway...
  • What's the product?
  • Konst said:

    Guys, need halp. I'm trying to calibrate battery of OP-1, and it shows some random results. When I discharge OP-1 till it's dead, and then connect it to charge, leds show "full charge" (fill up and go dark) right after I connect it to usb. Is it a normal thing and I just need to wait till its fully charged? Previously OP-1 was showing "pinging" battery life (on "help" press) for 10 hours. :\


    upd: okay, it now shows charging with "walking" indicators. Little bastard creeps me out everytime. 
    my op battery indicators don't ping flash until it's been charging for an hour or so. Flashes when I plug it in and then not again for a while until it goes dark again when fully charged
  • weakest point of the OP1 for sure. mine (218) gets stuck at 3 dots and then the bottom dot may flash for ages before it actually runs out of juice. tried recalibrating yesterday but it wouldn't charge past the 4th dot now. annoying.
  • bichuelo said:

    In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.


    I haven't made a thorough test anyway...
    @eesn does my theory make any sense? maybe, there is an ideal device where it should be calibrated on?
  • edited March 2017
    bichuelo said:

    bichuelo said:

    In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

    @eesn does my theory make any sense? maybe, there is an ideal device where it should be calibrated on?
    what do you mean "on the last device you made the calibration"? I charge the OP1 from whatever USB port I can find that has decent 0.5A and above output. the battery indicator should talk to the battery, I can't see why the port I charge from should make any difference?
  • eesn said:

    bichuelo said:

    bichuelo said:

    In my experience, the indicator behaves differently on each device. My hypothesis is that these work fine on the last device you made the calibration.

    @eesn does my theory make any sense? maybe, there is an ideal device where it should be calibrated on?
    what do you mean "on the last device you made the calibration"? I charge the OP1 from whatever USB port I can find that has decent 0.5A and above output. the battery indicator should talk to the battery, I can't see why the port I charge from should make any difference?
    I didn't make myself clear, sorry

    When I charge on computer A, the behavior is different than when I do it on computer B. On the first one, the indicator shows completely charged in 15 minutes, on computer B, the indicator goes to full after almost two hours. In both cases the OP-1 begins charge when the battery is almost empty of charge (one light blinking)
    This makes me think that the unit behaves correctly only on the unit where it was calibrated. In this case, computer B

    I don't know if it makes sense, but hopefully I made myself clear this time!
  • edited March 2017
    @bichuelo more often than not two different computers will provide a different maximum current over their USB ports. Standard says 500mA but in my accidental experience it's all over the place - less and more. I.e. Battery would charge for different lengths of time
  • edited January 12
    When the Op-1 has finished charging, should the led’s stop blinking and remain constant? I’ve had mine on charge for 14 hrs and the led’s are still blinking. Although I’ve just unplugged it to check the battery level. It shows a full charge but I know this may not be accurate. So, should the led’s stop blinking when fully charged? Cheers!
  • When the Op-1 has finished charging, should the led’s stop blinking and remain constant? I’ve had mine on charge for 14 hrs and the led’s are still blinking. Although I’ve just unplugged it to check the battery level. It shows a full charge but I know this may not be accurate. So, should the led’s stop blinking when fully charged? Cheers!

    Yes, on mine the leds stop blinking once it’s finished charging.

  • I don’t need 14h in order to do it (less) but I use my iPhone wall charger.
  • Thanks rumorazzi

    I am in fact using my iPhone wall charger, which is why I thought it odd.
Sign In or Register to comment.