Converting sync pulse to midi?

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know how to convert the pocket operator’s sync pulse output to midi? I have a ditto x4 and i want to slave it to the po-12.

Cheers

PO puts out 8 pulses per 16 steps, midi requires 96 pulses per 16 steps, so aside from a diy option I don’t think it would be possible. A PLL can be used for clock multiplication but I am unaware of any off the shelf device.

Just a thought, and hopefully someone with the setup could test, but maybe the Korg SQ-1 would work for this? I don’t have one but maybe if you do sync in on the SQ-1 and then MIDI out, you can convert the sync pulses to MIDI clock. It is possible that the MIDI out does not sync to the pulse input, though, in which case it would not work. Like @darenager mentions, it takes some extra effort to multiply your sync single to comply with MIDI.

Not quite MIDI, but you can use the assign output on Moog’s Mother-32 to subdivide the PO sync. I don’t have it at my side but I might try it tomorrow.

On page 44 of the manual it states that you can set it to clock/2 and clock/4

With OP-1 latest version you can set the PO sync to double time so I guess this could be mighty fun!

@GCF I can confirm that SQ1 will do it but the slaved midi might play back at double or half the expected speed, a midified Monotribe will do it also.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like i need to get a SQ1. Ive got a couple of questions.

1. To use the PO12 with the SQ1 and still use PO12’s audio output, would you have to split the PO12’s output sending the left (sync) to the SQ1 and sending the right (audio) to somewhere else?

2.Could you use the SQ1 sync output to trigger the PO12, while also using the MIDI out to keep other devices synced? So kind of, letting MIDI and sync stay in time.
Cheers
Thanks for the advice. Looks like i need to get a SQ1. Ive got a couple of questions.
1. To use the PO12 with the SQ1 and still use PO12's audio output, would you have to split the PO12's output sending the left (sync) to the SQ1 and sending the right (audio) to somewhere else?

2.Could you use the SQ1 sync output to trigger the PO12, while also using the MIDI out to keep other devices synced? So kind of, letting MIDI and sync stay in time.
Cheers

I wouldn’ answer this since I don’t think it is a question. I am beggining to use the PO Sync + 16 Sync to send different beats to Mother-32 + PO’s and use MIDI sync over USB to Ableton Live then send click to another PO in parallerl from a clip. I can use another clip in parallel or sequenced to another output to another PO/Mother to jump all over trigger/beats and it becomes endless