adding USB power port on Pocket operators

edited December 2016 in Pocket Operators
I sometimes use the PO in front of a PC, so I was thinking adding a female micro USB port to it ( on the break away
hanger):
"MICRO USB to DIP Adapter 5pin Female Connector B Type PCB Converter"

I'm guessing the batteries are in series parallel, so it's only 1.3v 3v, so just following this post
"LM317-DC-DC-Converters-Circuit-Boards-Module-Adjustable-Linear-Regulator-1-2-37V"

Any thoughts?

Comments

• A fake 2xAAA battery pack with a trailing USB? Wonder if such a thing already exists?
    Might mean less butchery.
    Just a thought.

CB
  • Yeah, less butchery.. good idea!
    I'm now thinking just a normal USB male cable with the regulator and alligator clips!
  • the batteries are in series so it is looking for 3V (not 1.3V) cheers Paul
  • haaa.. thanks for that.. I was just about to order parts to :)
  • I'm preparing a hacking kit to do this, it will consist of DC jack for the PO, small power supply powered thru micro USB and a daisy chained cable(like the ones used for guitar pedals). With this you can get power from a USB wall wary, USB portable battery or batteries. Pic-> https://instagram.com/p/BNKL9s0A3FB/
  • Not USB directly on the PO but on an small outboard power supply. So kind of similar :D
    I'll be offering this kit thru reverb.com
    I'm putting kits together at the moment.
  • @jn7 any chance a USB C or USB mini jack option will become available after launch? I'd like to share cables with op-1 or phone/tablet which share USB C. Great work!
  • @PLNB hi! 
    My apologies on the late reply, and thanks for the suggestions, I was not aware of the OP-1 used mini USB, I can start working on a version sporting this mini USB jack, USB C would be more expensive starting with the jack and then the cables, not that is not doable but I see less people having USB-C at the moment including me.
    I'm still waiting on daisy chain cables to arrive, I have a couple of power supplies already built but sporting micro USB jack at the moment.
  • Awesome news jn7! Would there be enough power from a single USB cable to power multiple PO's or would this concept only cover single units? At some point id like to join three POs together, sum their output through a passive trim mixer, and have a single USB powering the block. I'm guessing a USB splitter box could do the same thing, but figured id might ask.
  • @PLNB a single power supply can give up to 800mA @ 3V assuming your USB power source being a a portable battery or wall wart can provide at least 1A. This should easily power 3 or more POs at the time using a daisy chained cable.
  • This weekend I'll post pictures and video desmostrating the system and how it works.
  • Thx for the update jn7. Excited to see what you come up with.
  • @PLNB Hi, the kit for 3 is up in reverb.com along with a video showing how it works.

https://reverb.com/mx/item/3592663-pocket-operator-power-supply-kit-3-by-jnfx-po-pws

If you have any comments please let me know.

Regards
    -Jose
  • Nice bit of kit José. I'm not committed to soldering my POs until I have a 3PO case solution, but may prefer a clamp on power source to allow switching out POs or make use of the TE silicone case with minimal cutting.
  • Hi,
    So I finally got the LM317 converter as mentioned and alligator clips and I put it on a long USB cable.
    I've had the PO-20 playing back for 1hour or so, it works good, the heatsink doesn't get hot.
    The clips are okay, if not moving the device.

-- Instructions --
    It was pretty easy to do, no soldiering required :D
    Cut the head of a USB cable (the non USB male plug).
    With a multimeter, find the power and negative lines, better to use a power plug witch doesn't output data signals.
    With a small flat head screw driver (called precision screw drivers):
     a: wire up the positive into the in port marked Vin and neg into Gnd
     b: wire up the alligator positive Red clip into the out port market Vout and the negative black clip into Gnd
    Connect the alligator clips to a multimeter and turn the blue pot screw (from memory I think it was clock wise), until it drops to 3v, I have mine at 2.97-9v
    Connect to PO's battery, for me the Top negative and bottom Positive worked.
    As shown on my quick video:

• looks interesting..
    I'd love to have a powered hub to plug multiple po's into 
    ive got a guitar pedal  multi split lead thing, sockets to soldier onto the po's , and a psu , just havent tried anything yet.
    i dont want to blow anything up