Thinking of getting an Android device to back up OP-1.. any tips?

I have ZERO experience w/ Android devices. Can anyone help me out?

1. Can android devices function this way? Can they view the OP-1 as an external HD?
  2. If so, can anyone recommend one that's got a USB port, and is sub-$100 (preferably)?
Thanks.

id say get a cheap windows tablet with fullsize USB port instead. But android, ios can both handle this with a proper converter cable. then you could just back up over internet so you wouldnt even need tons of storage! Ive been working on A raspberry Pi auto backup soltution.

windows tablet with full size usb port would be more functional and easier to handle exactly this task. plus several have full size usb ports. and plenty of very good windows tablets are <$100

I only wish TE would create a companion app for the OP-1, which acted as a backup file server when connected to an iOS device.

I only wish TE would create a companion app for the OP-1, which acted as a backup file server when connected to an iOS device.

They’d need to do it via Sysex though, there’s no direct USB mass storage access from iOS. That’s why Android is easier in that respect. Sysex does not seem too far fetched though as I’ve seen in another thread (can’t remember which one) someone using Sysex to control some info on the OP-1 screen.

if using an accessory device is ok, I recommend this Kingston MobileLite Wireless G2:

https://amzn.com/B00KU2E9IW

you’d use the G2 as a USB host for the OP-1, and access the files wirelessly with your Android phone/tablet.

Make sure the device (and the Android installation) supports USB On-The-Go (OTG). I have an old Samsung Galaxy II phone with CyanogenMod, that works fine. All you need a USB-OTG adapter cable, and a file manager app (the stock app will also do the job).

They’d need to do it via Sysex though, there’s no direct USB mass storage access from iOS. That’s why Android is easier in that respect. Sysex does not seem too far fetched though as I’ve seen in another thread (can’t remember which one) someone using Sysex to control some info on the OP-1 screen.

Sure about that?

What are these all about?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-ways-get-more-storage-for-your-iphone-or-ipad-external-devices-3579792/

Sure about that?

What are these all about?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/best-ways-get-more-storage-for-your-iphone-or-ipad-external-devices-3579792/

You’ll notice that most of the attach via WiFi. The rest of them need a companion app to communicate with the device over the Lightning interface when connected to an i-Product. The OP-1 has neither of the two. No product uses USB to attach to the iOS device (unless I’ve missed something, feel free to prove me wrong)

There have been reports that attaching a USB mass storage device via the CCK works but the files and folders apparently need to be in a specific format. I’ve just tested a regular USB stick with the CCK3 and my iOS 9.3 iPad Pro 9.7" tells me it can’t import any media. Again, this is of no use with the OP-1.

AFAIK there’s a licensing arrangement for developers which could give you native USB access. I’d bet it’s too expensive for the amount of sales one would expect for an OP-1 companion app.

No… But that’s why I said that Teenage Engineering should make a companion app. In fact, I said it in the post you replied to.

So, again… I only wish TE would create a companion app for the OP-1!!

No… But that’s why I said that Teenage Engineering should make a companion app. In fact, I said it in the post you replied to.

So, again… I only wish TE would create a companion app for the OP-1!!

I never said they couldn’t or shouldn’t :slight_smile:

Make sure the device (and the Android installation) supports USB On-The-Go (OTG). I have an old Samsung Galaxy II phone with CyanogenMod, that works fine. All you need a USB-OTG adapter cable, and a file manager app (the stock app will also do the job).

This truly is the most direct solution. Simply plug in the OP-1 using the host adapter and access your files. On my Galaxy S5 it automatically navigates to the OP-1 folders upon mounting.

For some reason my phone does not recognise the op1 Via otg cable so just bought the hoo too tripmate which lets me view and copy files using es file explorer or the supporting app. Works well on iOS and android for anyone else having issues. Also has a battery so can be used on the go and charges op1 at the same time. I got it 2 days ago for £10 but seems to have increased in price a bit. Amazon link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HooToo-Wireless-Companion-6000mAh-External/dp/B00DTPYRTI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483629189&sr=8-5&keywords=hootoo+tripmate