Replacing Volca with PO-12?

I currently have a PO-14, PO-16, and PO-20. Love the 16 and 20.

I also have a volca beats, volca keys, and monotribe.

I really like the sounds on the PO-12, and the only reason I kept off on buying one was because I already had a volca beats. The beats is great, but it doesn’t really seem to fit my style…maybe. I just have a hard time making it work. I think I really miss having a crunchy, hard hitting snare? Dunno. I’m thinking of just selling it and getting a PO-12. Do you think I’ll regret my decision?

Also thinking about selling my PO-14, never seem to use it either.

Do it. PO-12>>>>>>>volca beats

Yeah Do it! the Volca Beats has a cool vibe, but PO12 has more sounds, effects, is cheaper and smaller. Also takes way less batteries.

I think they are totally different machines. I’d keep both.

Well, I went ahead and ordered a PO12. I think I’ll keep the volca beats around for a bit to compare, but if I end up not using it anymore I’ll probably still sell it. I agree they are different machines, and I definitely don’t want to regret getting rid of the beats. But I’m thinking it may just not be the best option for me. I’ll have to wait and see. :slight_smile:

I like pairing the Volca Beats with Pocket Operators for additional texture. Office, especially, is totally fun to combine with the Beats’ heavy kick and slithering hats. Even though I have a Machinedrum and love it, it can be so much easier to grab a Volca and/or Pocket Operator to add a quick beat along side a synth jam I have going on. The kick on the beats can punch through a lot of things.

But… Now that there’s the Volca Kick on its way, my Beats may not be long for my connection. I think the combination of Volca Kick plus PO-12 or PO-24 for additional percussion sounds could be killer.

Personally I’d keep the PO-14 if you’re not pressed for cash. I’ve had hour long sessions (no exaggeration, rather an understatement) with only the PO-12 and PO-14. With the two times 16 effects, the 15 synth-styles times the two parameters for each synth engine, and the micro-drums the PO-14 is a beast. I felt a little like playing a modular, just without any cables :slight_smile:

Had Volca beats, sold cause of crappy snare and replaced with po12. Missed muting so sold and got another Volca beats, this time with snare mod. Very happy. :slight_smile:

(Big fan of Monotribe drums too, so snappy!)

You can’t mute parts on the PO12?

Do any of the POs allow muting? Is there anywhere with a little comparison table of features? I get quite lost considering they all have different fx and interfaces etc.

PO-24 (Office) has muting. It’s the only one, I believe. Well, it has soloing, and you can stack up the solo’d sounds so you can have multiple ones playing.

PO-12 doesn’t have muting per se but you can toggle notes on/off in each sounds’ respective step grid.
Another option would be to copy the same pattern to two different pattern slots minus the snare then cue the pattern you want (note: the pattern won’t change mid-measure, but will start on the next measure).

@Anfim this is the closest you can get to a comparison table: https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/po#features

Be interesting to see what TE is planning for the final series of POs.

Please please please a sampler taking the fm radio receiver from the OP1! I know it can be done!

Please please please a sampler taking the fm radio receiver from the OP1! I know it can be done!

Maybe even a granular synth?

I'd personally like to have a nice FX PO with some neat filtering/reverb/delay.

We will never see a sampler unless they completely change the PO HW… the current design does not have a single unused I/O port and it would require a lot of those to attach an external memory chip.

As for an effects only PO, that is very possible, even hinted at by TE if I’m not mistaken.

We will never see a sampler unless they completely change the PO HW... the current design does not have a single unused I/O port and it would require a lot of those to attach an external memory chip.

Not that many if you’re using SPI. I haven’t seen the schematics though, so even the 4 required might be 4 too many.

I think they are totally different machines. I'd keep both.

I’d also keep both. Volca Beats is awesome, but the snare is a little lacking. Get both, they work together. Use the PO’s snare. Solved.

We will never see a sampler unless they completely change the PO HW... the current design does not have a single unused I/O port and it would require a lot of those to attach an external memory chip.

As for an effects only PO, that is very possible, even hinted at by TE if I’m not mistaken.

They could make one that samples just an FM radio receiver though. No line in sampling. I’d be cool with that!