(Annoying?) band of colors on startup screen

Hey everyone… Just got myself a new OP-1 and it is awesome so far. In my OCD-ness, there’s one thing itching at me though - whenever I first turn it on, there’s the Teenage Engineering logo, but also a pixel or so thick band of colors running down the far left side of the screen, which looks as though its glitchy, but with this company I’m not really sure. Everything once its operating is normal though. Does that little band of color on the left side of the startup screen appear for everyone? Or would one think there is some kind of very minor glitch unique to the display screen of mine? Input appreciated.

yes it does appear for most of us, especially with the beta OS. welcome to the forum.

Same thing for me. I also just bought an OP-1. I bet you are running R.14510. If so, do the TE firmware upgrade from the website. It’ll be a lower number but it’s really the right FW to be on. 14510 is apparently a test FW that these can ship with. Once I upgraded the FW to the official release, no more colored bands on startup.

Ah, thank you very much guys. It’s indeed running R.14510. I had checked their website but saw, like you said, that the number of the upgrade was indeed lower, and mistakenly thought that meant it was obsolete already. Going to update it now.

Same thing for me. I also just bought an OP-1. I bet you are running R.14510. If so, do the TE firmware upgrade from the website. It'll be a lower number but it's really the right FW to be on. 14510 is apparently a test FW that these can ship with. Once I upgraded the FW to the official release, no more colored bands on startup.

TE’s support told me it is better to have R. 14510 than R. 14203…

Oh great lol… already switched. Maybe a factory reset then…

Factory reset won’t change the firmware.

Guess that’s that then lol

Sort of begs the question, tho: if it’s better to have 14510, why haven’t they posted it on their site? Perhaps it’s optimized for some specific hardware revision?

Just get the beta on there. Then at least you’ll have Slump, Arp, no clicks and a bunch of nice new presets to distract you from 2 seconds of coloured strip.

Got some clarity from company support. Asked if switching from factory installed 14510 to 14203 from website was detrimental. Response: "Yes no need to worry! They are the exact same OS with some different hardware code, nothing that affects functionality in any way!"

So looks like my quest to get rid of that annoying band of colors was truly successful after all. Huzzah.

Once I embraced the quirks of the mighty OP-1, I love it more than any synth I have ever owned. When I read that each op-1 is a bit different based on design I was thrilled (and a little scared lol).

I see the OP kinda like a guitar/piano where it has its own unique personality and my job is just to relate and create. Idiosyncrasies and limits are awesome huh??!?!?!

=]

I just booted a fresh OP1 and saw that band of colors and thought that it probably had something to do with the OS version; my other ones were on a previous revision.

Then it started eating at me until I sought out this thread.
Hilarious.
It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one who goes OCD with new gear.

We all get the band of colors on the beta XD

FYI this is fixed on the latest beta. You didn’t hear that from me.

What’s the latest beta ? There are several of them ?

I have the beta + the band of colors (cool name for a band btw :wink: