Info about this track (made on op-1?)

Hi everyone. I’ve been reading on here for a few weeks and finally just got my op-1 so decided I need to join :slight_smile:

Anyway, I want to know more about the music on this soundcloud page (maybe the guy posts here?): Operator Operator | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I want to know if this track in particular was done all on the OP-1: Resolve by Operator Operator | Free Listening on SoundCloud – would love to see a video of this being made or recreated. Really liking these sounds but I have a feeling many are samples or other synths?

About me (just because I’m new): I’m into electronics and music. Never really make anything good or anything finished. A few years ago I did a digital audio processing project using an FPGA chip (will open source soon: FPGA audio effects processor - YouTube). I live in a van that I made into my solar powered home :slight_smile:

Welcome!

It’s apparently all OP-1
Synth engine could be DIGITAL
Drums from D-Box or Samples or both

and the guy is definately a member of this forum!

That’s a nice effect device btw, gongrats!

Cool thanks. Really liking this style. I’d love to see a video of him making this or just any tips on how to get this sound. Like a arps, delays and rhythmic gating? I can’t really tell

I think I recognize the style… could it be @raigan?

Lovely track. If I had to guess, I reckon it was done by recording 3 or 4 endless sequences through different synthesizer patches while subtly tweaking the synth, envelope and effect parameters. If the operator recorded each sequence to different tracks, he could also have used the white ear to add a synth effect and a master effect at the same time.

I forgot to say… welcome @juggler :slight_smile:

What I’ve found is that exploring different processes for creating tracks is a lot of fun on the op-1. You mentioned you never really made anything you consider finished. I hope the op-1 will change that for you - definitely did for me. Certainly, the four track-ness of the op-1 forces you to commit to ideas and helps make finishing tracks a lot easier.

It might be fun to try the process I outlined above to see how you fare.

(Btw, do you juggle? Freshly enthused three ball juggler here :wink: )

I think I recognize the style... could it be @raigan?

Lovely track. If I had to guess, I reckon it was done by recording 3 or 4 endless sequences through different synthesizer patches while subtly tweaking the synth, envelope and effect parameters. If the operator recorded each sequence to different tracks, he could also have used the white ear to add a synth effect and a master effect at the same time.

Cool thanks. Yeah I think it is this guy. Where is he? I just find all these tracks so intriguing for some reason.

So you're saying several different endless sequences at once all through different synths? Good tip about using the white ear to record both synth effect and mixer effect. But still, I can get nothing to sound like that track, honestly :-)
I forgot to say... welcome @juggler :-)

What I've found is that exploring different processes for creating tracks is a lot of fun on the op-1. You mentioned you never really made anything you consider finished. I hope the op-1 will change that for you - definitely did for me. Certainly, the four track-ness of the op-1 forces you to commit to ideas and helps make finishing tracks a lot easier.

It might be fun to try the process I outlined above to see how you fare.

(Btw, do you juggle? Freshly enthused three ball juggler here ;-) )

Yeah I’ve realised that it’s kind of simple on the face of it but its set up in a way that allows for infinite different ways of working creativity but still manages to keep you moving along time. It’s a really lovely piece of engineering/art. Hoping to get more into it over the next few months. I live in a van and it’s so annoying not having a computer that is constantly set up on a desk, but the accessibility of the op-1 fixes that problem for the times I just want to ‘mess about’.

Yeah I juggle. Not into it as much as I used to be though – still carry my fire clubs with me :slight_smile:

hey - thank you! That’s a really early one… I’m currently on account # 7/8 :wink: Operator Operator 7 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I can’t remember recording that track OTOH, but my process hasn’t changed much; yoof was right, I just set up a sequence in Endless and then record a synth+effects to tape while continually tweaking. Before I start recording I try to figure out which parameters sound good to tweak, but in general this was mostly improv and just having fun. Early on I did some bouncing to get more than 4 tape tracks, but I don’t think that’s happening in this track.

Once I’ve filled all 4 tracks I mix down to album – usually I do two mixes, and then later pick whether I prefer A or B. In my more recent stuff I pull the album A/B into Goldwave (don’t laugh!!) and mix all 4 tracks together to get some more stereo stuff happening; big thanks to whoever mentioned the Haas effect on these forums, it’s awesome and I use it all over the stuff in accounts 7/8.
The whole process usually takes about a couple hours per song (more if I’m having trouble mixing to album or if I make a mistake while tracking stuff); for a couple years I was on a good run recording a new song every week or so, but sadly work/etc got busy, alas.

I ended up with this process simply by being lazy and trying to figure out what the most fun way to use the OP-1 was, i.e how it “wanted” me to use it. I find that any sort of editing or drum work is way too hard/slow (compared to a DAW) but that it’s great for live tweaking because each synth engine has a bunch of sweet spots and they’re generally really useable across the whole range of each parameter. Ditto for the effects.

I almost never use sampler (not tweakable enough), so those are all built-in synths. To me it sounds like:

-the infrequent chord stab (on the 2 and sometimes the 4) is Digital – you can tell because I use Blue to add some white noise, no other synth engines have a noise source in them (IIRC… sadly I’ve been away from OP-1 for the past couple years). Sounds like I have some Delay on there.

-the acid-y lead is definitely Dr.Wave; you can get those squelchy sounds by tweaking White to get a sort of sync effect (the waveform repeats multiple times). I think I was mostly just changing the waveform shape via Blue. Sounds like Delay on this one too.

-the bass chords sound like Cluster to me, with Tremolo to give the volume envelope some movement. Cluster doesn’t have as much range as some of the other synth engines, but I think it works well for bass. I think this has Delay too… early on I didn’t know how to use most of the effects very well so I stuck with the simple ones :slight_smile:

-the hyperactive arp part is (I think) String through Spring. I really like this combination, Spring smooths out the noise bursts, and String is good for arps because each hit is random (since it’s noise-based) thus it doesn’t get as repetitive as other synth engines, it sounds a lot more “alive”.

Anyway, thanks so much! I really want to revisit some of these sketches and build them into more complete tracks (with some drums/etc. and fixing the mix), but some of them work okay on their own.

(oh, and when I mix to album I always use a master FX… I guess it must be some subtle Spring in this case since I can’t really hear what else it might be)

I can't remember recording that track OTOH, but my process hasn't changed much [... super awesome description ... ]
Thanks for sharing your workflow and a little bit of insight in how you went about getting those sounds you wanted. I'm especially intrigued by the fact that, after being away for so long, you still seem to have retained a (brain-)muscle memory of how the OP-1 synth engines work :) Awesome stuff.

Cheers :slight_smile: I definitely geeked out pretty hard when I first got an OP-1 so it’s sort of baked in there :wink:

Cheers! I geked out pretty hard when I first got an OP-1 so it’s sort of baked in there :wink:

Thanks so much raigan that’s really helpful. I’m still learning the OP :slight_smile:

@<a href=“https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/profile/317/raigan” class=“Username” style=“font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: bold; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration: none; color: rgb(1, 115, 198); background-color: rgb(252, 252, 255);”>raigan What happened to operator-operator-5?