Tracks not appearing on the tape?

Once in a while I notice that there might be a section of tape for a particular track that produces audio, but on the screen there is no actual tape segment shown.

Also I was just revisiting some older projects and I dragged the tape files back onto the op-1 from my file browser and when I restarted the op-1 to play with the tracks, the tape is playing and I can hear the audio, but for tracks 1-4, there is nothing visually there on the screen. I also can’t interact with the missing tape segments either. I tried lifting and dropping, but nothing gets picked up and the audio doesn’t change. The EQ section does seem to affect the tape segments though, and I find this odd.

I’m not sure what is wrong, if I did something wrong, or what to do.

Hi Flynzo,
I noticed the missing segments (but can hear audio) too on my OP-1. I found a workaround: If you overdub record on the missing segment a new segment appears. Just overdub silence if you want to be able to lift/drop the original audio and/or see the original segment on tape.

Hope this helps!

I just received the OP-1 this week and also noticed this behaviour. Glad I checked here first as I was going mad thinking I was doing something wrong. I hope this will be fixed in the upcoming FW update. Thank you for the workaround…although I couldn’t get it to work. I tried this by sampling silence, then overdubbing that over the problem tape section. But I still hear the phantom recorded section over my silence attempt. Then when i lift this section, nothing changes…the phantom audio is still there.

Perhaps I misunderstand the workaround. Can you explain how you do it skintechnician?

Perhaps I misunderstand the workaround.

are you certain you’re on the track the glitch is on? this has happened to me a few times; the workaround… works.

About as certain as I can be. I determined the track with the problem by soloing all four until finding the one with the phantom sounds. Then I performed the method I mentioned to overdub silence over it with the results mentioned.

The only thing that worked for me was clearing all four tracks and starting over.

Hi Brian,
No need to sample. Simply record over(dub) the area where you’re getting phantom sounds and a new track recording will appear. You can then lift/drop chop whatever as if the sounds were never phantomized.
Cheers,
Nate

I heard about that when the op 1 is controlled by usbmidi it’s not possible to overdub the phantom tracks… @Brian_Westfield

I heard about that when the op 1 is controlled by usbmidi it's not possible to overdub the phantom tracks.. @Brian_Westfield

Wait, what? I find that, with the new OS, if I have the OP1 listen to usb midi clock, after a while it starts producing a tiny glitch every few seconds. This isn’t in the tracks at all. Could what you’re describing be related?

Just saw my tracks disappearing… I was lifting 4 portions of track and then dropped them at the end of the tracks for further use.

Thanks all for the help. Some good discussion that jogged my memory. I am not using any external midi control. BUT I did do what lyingdalai mentioned: I lifted four tracks and placed them at the end to save them of accidental erasure. Then sometime after I noticed this issue. Perhaps that is a trigger for this problem.

Hi Brian, No need to sample. Simply record over(dub) the area where you're getting phantom sounds and a new track recording will appear. You can then lift/drop chop whatever as if the sounds were never phantomized. Cheers, Nate

Thank you, will try this if it happens again :slight_smile:

I had a backup for my tracks, so I overwrote the ones on the OP-1.

When loading the tracks, the OP-1 launched a defragmentation of the disk.

I lifted the 4 portions of tracks again, and didn’t encountered the pb anymore.

I just experienced this. But, on the very first take on OP-1’s tape

After messing around, I found out that if I stopped the recording using Ableton Live’s transport, the recording would not show up on the OP-1, but it would still be audible. If I stopped the recording using the unit’s stop button, then it does show up as a take

Hope this might help

I just experienced this. But, on the very first take on OP-1's tape

After messing around, I found out that if I stopped the recording using Ableton Live's transport, the recording would not show up on the OP-1, but it would still be audible. If I stopped the recording using the unit's stop button, then it does show up as a take

Hope this might help

could you provide exact steps to reproduce this, @bichuelo ?

would appreciate even a video of this. it’s a pretty elusive bug…

@eesn Will try to do it as soon as possible. In the meantime, I will report it and open a case with TE’s support :wink:

Gang, are we all here using R. 14510? Is anyone using 14203?

As a sidenote: I don’t see the bar markers get highlighted as usual when I browse the tape, not in Sync nor in Beat Match mode. Am I the only one? Am I doing something wrong?

14510 has never been available for download AFAIK. I’d wager that the majority of operators here are on 14203 or the beta.

14510 has never been available for download AFAIK. I’d wager that the majority of operators here are on 14203 or the beta.

I understand then that the bug is present in both versions. There is a chance that it behaves differently on both.

Its very easy to reproduce, at least the way it occurs to me: Either using Live or Maschine, with an internal or external signal, I record on the OP-1 on an empty track.
If I press stop from the DAW, the record does not show up.
If I press stop from the OP-1, the record does show up as a blue line.

Please tell me if this is clear enough, and if any of you can reproduce it.

@bichuelo sounds like MIDI sync/transport is involved; are you synchronising them somehow? who plays master? slave? what do you mean by “internal or external signal”? please provide even more detail. also would be great if you shoot a video of this. Since this has been without a fix for ages, I figure our best chance is to document it exactly down to the tiny details.

Sometimes (3 out of 4 times) occurs for me, when i shift+lift loop with all tracks. Overdubbing missing segments works for me. Annoying but you can live with it. Still hope they will fix it in the future updates.