Squarepusher - Midi Sans Frontieres

Squarepusher offering a track up for remix/rework to unite music makers against the far right - Midi Sans Frontieres…

http://www.squarepusher.net/

Definitely going to get stuck into this!

Oo! I just did my first remix of someone else using only hardware (op-1, md-uw, volca sample). It’d be fun to ride that energy and try this!

I always find doing remixes, reworkings or battles to a deadline much more productive and rewarding.

Think it’s cos you are working to a deadline so you don’t have time to fanny around, you just have to get on with it and make decisions pronto.

Thanks for the info. Downloaded the song, kinda cool!

Hmm, I wonder if those of us who believe in democracy still allowed to enter? Also, it’s odd to learn that I’m now a far-right, racist. I never got the memorandum but perhaps my red braces are in the post?

Regressive propaganda at its finest…

You fucking degenerate, leftist savages!

You fucking degenerate, leftist savages!
"Degenerate", really ?

THE REFERENDUM ON THE UK'S MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU HAS HAD APPALLING CONSEQUENCES. IT HAS AMPLIFIED MANY DIVISIONS IN SOCIETY AND IN PARTICULAR HAS HELPED TO RE-ESTABLISH XENOPHOBIA AS LEGITIMATE AND ACCEPTABLE. WITNESSING THIS AGAINST THE GLOBAL BACKDROP OF A RESURGENCE OF THE FAR-RIGHT, IT'S ESSENTIAL THAT THOSE WHO FIND THESE DEVELOPMENTS UNACCEPTABLE MAKE THEIR THOUGHTS KNOWN AND TAKE ACTION.
@HelloOperator Please, would you mind clarifying your analysis on this statement ? Let's keep it calm and quiet, with the same spirit as always on this peaceful site. I don't mean to grow the fire, just understand your position on this.

I'm not from UK, nor do I live the consequences of the vote. But I will definitely make a remix. As a statement that I deeply dislike seeing more and more hatred and racism in my surroundings, both in my city and on the internet. When the time comes that people publicly express their blind hatred for what they ignore and fear, dark times are coming.

@LyingDalai

Hey no offense intended to anyone here
personally - I was being somewhat facetious to be honest. That said, I
do feel quite strongly about the divisive rhetoric being thrown about by
the left. Time and time again I hear how a vote to leave the EU is
racist, right wing and isolationist, but such arguments are fallacious
and insulting.

My reasons for wanting to leave the EU are varied
and complex because it’s a complex situation. The notion that a vote to
leave correlates with bigotry towards people of different ethnicity or
whatever is preposterous. It makes a simplistic, childish and dishonest
dichotomy of a nuanced political and socio-economic reality; and it does
a disservice to all those who thought long and hard about the long term
realities of a union that has far transcended the remit as it stood in
the days of the EEC.

This I suppose is really not the forum for
me to be airing my political views - but I certainly didn’t start it (I
blame Tom Jenkinson). Ultimately what I’m trying to express is the
genuine remorse I feel at being labelled a right wing racist - merely
because I stand for decentralized democracy over monolithic, tyrannical
opaque, trans-national bureaucracy.

The resentment I feel at such
misguided accusations is only compounded by the sheer hypocrisy
demonstrated by certain regressive leftists who gleefully play the
twisted game of identity politics and then call me a racist for voting
on a matter that (as far as I’m concerned) has absolutely nothing to do
with race.

Again, none of this has anything to do with people on
this forum. I suppose it was just welling up inside me and the whole
“Squarepusher protests right wing racists” thing, pushed me over the
edge.

Thx @HelloOperator.
There is a lot of polarization on the matter of the Brexit, and I think that’s only what Tom says.
Remember the Brexit was more or less imposed by the extreme right : their aim is to divide the society, to bring hate and division, and they succeeded more that they could imagine I believe.
Try to read again Squarepusher’s words, one by one, with a peaceful mind. You may find no more that what I just wrote.

Thi question about far-right dominating the game is very important IMO. In France, a left-wing Prime Minister is using the Police forces to crush militantism in a way that is unacceptable, but there are roots in such behavior that just comes from the right using far-right tactics.
Few people see how much far-right is imposing the question debated, all the more because of the resurgence of terrorism.

The Brexit did divided Europe - and in particular the first impacted : English people - on the question.
I can see on the Internet the echoes of the deflagration, but I am grateful for people that voted for the Brexit to explain why they did it.
I might have done the same : among the benefices of living in EU, there are the common money, no additional tax when buying from Estonia, or the fact one can cross the border without showing papers. This was never really true for England, was it?

Now I wish it was enough to just exchange words with a peaceful mind to stop far-right progression… But I fear they give so much easy talking to media that this polarization is not over.
Dark times I said.

Extra extra… “Police force crushes militants!

I see nothing wrong with that headline. Isn’t that the job of the police force?

What happened with Brexit is the result of the voiceless and disenfranchised taking an opportunity to be heard. Contrary to what you are saying - the left dominates the media in England, with the feminist governed BBC regularly reaching Orwellian levels of double-think and hypocrisy.

No matter how hard they chant it, I just don’t see Brexit as isolationist. Us, so called, racist right wingers haven’t teleported Britain to a pocket universe - we’re still part of Europe, just not the political union that we were vetoed from joining; twice!

“So why did France Veto Britain’s application?” you ask. Well, they saw Britain as an unofficial back door for the American influence of Europe - so perhaps it was unsurprising to receive thinly veiled threats from Obama when it started to look like Britain could leave. Interestingly he told us that we would not be able to partner in the TTP if we left Europe. Thanks Obama - you made my decision clear :slight_smile:

The TTP (much like Europe) stands for the undemocratic handing off of power to un-elected, shadowy cabals. Any member nation of the TTP agreement will be liable to be sued by any member corporation that deems it has lost revenue due to Governmental decisions. The court will not be open to the public or media, has zero oversight and is presided over by a cabal of kangaroos with deep corporate interests.

A good example of such wonderful “free trade agreements” is illustrated by El Salvador; currently being sued for approximately 2% of its entire GDP. What did they do wrong? They said no to US and Canadian mining corporations. How dare they!

Dark times indeed friend. Buckle up for the unified fiscal plan and the bear poking European Army. I’m glad I’m out of it mate. Next I want a devolved Parliament to represent the interests of Northern England and then democracy might be a little closer in reach.

Don’t get me wrong : same as you, I think that TTP is pure high treason.

And I just don’t believe that pro-Brexit people are all racist !

You took only some of my speech when saying “Police force crushes militants”.
I said “Prime Minister is using the Police forces to crush [militancy] in a way that is unacceptable”.
There is a permanent state of emergency like in Germany in the 30’s, and the police is hitting pretty strong left-wing militants, even if they are peaceful…
Weird that you state it’s the police’s job to crush militants. Some are my friends, you know. They try to give food and shelter to Syrians when the State fails to provide help to refugees. And they get hit for this, by smiling armored policemen. How sick is this ?

Anyway, in the end I believe that not only the BBC, but the whole media + politicians + multinational corporations try to maintain a dying system while extracting the more juice out of it. They are in my opinion responsible for the damages done to the population and the divisions in the society.
I fear for the future as a peaceful transition to a viable system is not to be seen yet.

I too find the whole “brexiters are racist” assumptions ridiculous, if anything it will further create divisions and smacks of people who did not get their way sulking like spoilt brats.

The EU referendum quite rightly divided opinions, between families, communities, even of course political parties, it is a very complex decision for anyone to make, and neither option offered a perfect solution. The postulating going on in the media that perhaps those who voted leave did not understand what they were doing is insulting, and extremely prejudiced to say the least.

Of course plenty of people did not fully understand the intricacies of the EU, but to suggest it was only the leave voters has been proven wrong, watch some of the videos on youtube by this guy, who did interviews at #marchforeurope and you will see for yourself. Watch a few of them other than the two below as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEXZ8QWuCeI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqHwXWa3tH4

The stupid equation that the leave voters are anti Europe is also looking like a media engineered division tactic, the vote was to leave the EU not Europe.

As for the racist attacks reported by the media, sadly this has always gone on and probably always will, to suggest that all brexit voters condone such things is very dangerous. The extreme left have also been pretty active with their vile rhetoric, but this goes largely unreported, one particularly vile remark was directed at Farage’s children. Bottom line far right and far left are equally idiotic and both should be condoned for hate crimes.

One thing is clear though and that is that politics is changing, the people who cling desperately to one party or another out of some outmoded political allegiance are being the good fearful sheep that their masters are wanting, playing into their hands and believing all their bullshit, sucking it up, and spouting it, without even knowing they are being manipulated.

The really sad thing though is that suggesting that brexit voters are all xenophobic violent idiots strengthens the position of the actual xenophobic violent idiots because now they believe they are the majority.

My friends and family all voted, some voted leave, some voted remain, but I can still respect their rights to democratically choose which, even if I do not agree with what they voted. The moment you try to take the right to choice away, is the moment you take your own voice away.

Oh and I think the idea from Squarepusher is a good one if it unifies people against far right bigots, but bringing brexit into it is kind of daft and irrelevant, for example:

Some Nazis like techno, but not all who like techno are Nazis!

I’m very glad to see people share their opinion on this matter, for me it is far more valid that the bile thrown by the media !

To come back on Squarepusher’s words, he clearly doesn’t state that Brexiters are racists, nor does he try to divide…

- <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588);”>THE REFERENDUM ON THE UK’S MEMBERSHIP OF THE EU HAS HAD APPALLING CONSEQUENCES.<span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588);”>
=> can’t say it didn’t

- <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588);”>IT HAS AMPLIFIED MANY DIVISIONS IN SOCIETY
=> For what I can see from France, and what I feel as French, I can see it’s right. The Brexit vote polarized and divided people.

- <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588);”>AND IN PARTICULAR HAS HELPED TO RE-ESTABLISH XENOPHOBIA AS LEGITIMATE AND ACCEPTABLE
=> Brexit was brought on the table because of the pressure of the far-right, that gained power with the Brexit vote.
We’ll see what they do of this.
But from this Friday, I’ve seen some people feel free to express their blind racist hate. Trump ascension has also its own influence.

- <span style=“color: rgb(37, 38, 30); font-family: “lucida grande”, “Lucida Sans Unicode”, tahoma, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18.2px; background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.0470588);”>AGAINST THE GLOBAL BACKDROP OF A RESURGENCE OF THE FAR-RIGHT, IT’S ESSENTIAL THAT THOSE WHO FIND THESE DEVELOPMENTS UNACCEPTABLE MAKE THEIR THOUGHTS KNOWN AND TAKE ACTION
I really don’t want to see things go the way it did a hundred years ago.
Yet I’m not very positive as power seems growing every year on the far-right side.

@LyingDalai the bit about “xenophobia as legitimate and acceptable” and believing that it is connected to brexit is the fatal flaw in this, sure the result may have empowered a minority of misguided and mentally bankrupt bigots, but continually equating the majority to these idiots is only serving to cement their delusions.

My own personal opinion of left vs right wing is that both are flawed and both are really just another label to divide people, but it is very sad that people seem to feel the need to identify with some form of collective, gay/straight, black/white, left/right, etc when really we are all the same under the skin, and yet we are all unique individuals, I hope that one day we can move past this, but I think it will not be in our lifetime :frowning:

You speak the truth, friend.
Yet I still believe it’s misreading to say Jenkinson is equating the haters to pro-Brexit voters.

The track is really growing on me, I like it a lot. I’ll do something of it.

Far-right is growing in power, I’d love to see it returning to its own darkness.

I’m currently meditating on the alternatives to our failing system and how I could drive my own life towards an exit.
So far I feel like I need a garden :smiley:

I like what I’m hearing guys - this is the kind of rational and balanced discourse that has been sorely lacking of late. Indeed it is precisely that deficiency in the media that drove me to my unusual outburst.

Sorry to have joked about militancy in France @LyingDalai - Again my facetious streak rising to the surface - maybe I have a form of qwerty tourette’s syndrome?

In all seriousness though I’m sure I misunderstood the term “militancy.” Feeding the homeless isn’t quite what I pictured to be honest. It’s also fair to say that I’m really not so clued up regarding the nuances of the socio-political realities faced by people in Europe (outside of the UK) But that said, I am aware of the rise of far right groups in various countries such as Poland or Greece for example; and their rise seems to correlate (perhaps predictably) with economic uncertainty and/or large scale immigration.

On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that such groups have much political sway or positive media backing - but like I said I don’t have a lot of insight and could be dangerously wrong. However, it would only be balanced and fair of me to maintain a healthy degree of skepticism until I’m fully appraised of the situation (that’s working on the presumption that mining for truth isn’t Quixotic) as I know first hand that groups with unpopular or contentious viewpoints can often be labeled as “far right” simply to discredit them.

@darenager Although I’m sometimes prone to throwing around insults such as “Leftist degenerate scum!” I usually only reserve it for Social Justice Warrior types. You know the sort of people who hold the position of “Officer of Diversity” and then go and ban Caucasians and males from attending their protest rallies. But aside from days when I feel harangued by the volume of stupidity that sloshes around the collective unconscious - I 100% agree with you about the divisiveness of Left / Right rhetoric. I have some theories about how technology may one day liberate us from partisan politics - but that’s a discussion for another day and probably another forum :slight_smile:

@HelloOperator The people that concern me most are not the nutjobs but the people with large influence and little intellect, and the people who follow such false prophets without question. Politicians and celebrities peddling agendas to their own end, whilst under the pretence they are for the greater good,

I think the tide is turning and people in general are waking up, largely thanks to the internet and actually having intelligent conversations with people of different belief/sexual orientation/race/nationallity/politics/age etc etc

Online communities where people share common interests but with very different backgrounds offer a glimmer of hope for optimism and once we understand eachother better things can really start to get better, so I also share your hope that technology will play a part.

The so called SJW are bigots masquerading as anti-bigots, because excluding a person based purely on a trait is biogotry pure and simple, try to explain that though and you will be called a bigot, the problem stems I think from framed arguments and reluctance to break free from preconceptions, some people also seem just to need to argue and “win”

Anyway, I’ll leave it there, but thanks all for the discussion.

Most of us Scots are hoping that Sturgeon sorts shit out for us up here.

Not a fan of her SNP-ness but have massive respect for her as a politician and a politician for the people not for her own agenda (Salmond on the other hand I believe was a different story) - she’s really good at what she does.

Sincerely, how cool is this track ?

I really love it, can’t say why exactly, but I find it beautiful !

Yeah, I loved the track too!