OP-Z production peek #1

Hey everyone.
I guess most of you are getting the Teenage Engineering news letter. If not, here's a little production peek/ status update on the OP-Z. <3
PS. Operators, how about an OP-Z category?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkZxWYixYg&feature=youtu.be

@cuckoo, Nice vid! Can’t wait until you improve your filming skills though :wink:

At home with the legos : )
Interesting to see the TE lab, with all the people working on the next level music maschines. What are the other people doing? OP-2 ha!

@Eti what are you talking about? This camera work is top stuff, lol… Ha ha… jokes aside, I’d like an optical stabiliser, and autofocus, so that I can operate it with one hand. I’m always following NAB, Photokina etc. for a proper replacement camera… But in the end I just love shooting and grading Blackmagic footage. Pocket Cinema 2 would be great… or perhaps Panasonic could announce something at Photokina.

At home with the legos : )
Interesting to see the TE lab, with all the people working on the next level music maschines. What are the other people doing? OP-2 ha!

Most people are on the OP-Z right now. Design. Software. Audio. UI. Hardware. China. Sweden… a lot of stuff. Some are doing support, some are probably still doing work on the OD-11 and perhaps other stuff, don’t really know.

@cuckoo Don’t get me wrong, I was only talking about the strange blur occuring at a certain angle. I watch every video you upload on youtube and never had to complain about this kind of phenomenon, too bad it happen when shooting a product in development :wink:

Okay! Of course, always a lot to do, development…

@cuckoo Don't get me wrong, I was only talking about the strange blur occuring at a certain angle. I watch every video you upload on youtube and never had to complain about this kind of phenomenon, too bad it happen when shooting a product in development ;)

Ahhhh, gotcha! I didn’t catch you there, he he. Yeah, what’s up with that blur… Weird

Best haircut.

Awesome stuff @cuckoo . Watched the vid, maybe I missed something, but I don’t think it was addressed. Will there be sampling/loading samples at all with the OP-Z?

Awesome stuff @cuckoo . Watched the vid, maybe I missed something, but I don't think it was addressed. Will there be sampling/loading samples at all with the OP-Z?

Thanks mate! It plays samples, but whether or not you can make your own sample pack and throw in there, and how much memory is on board, I don’t have a clue. Obviously they’ll be making a lot of packs, synth engines etc in their web store. And I think they want people to share too, but it’s all very early at this point. I certainly hope that you can throw your own samples on it with no questions asked. We’ll have to wait and see… (till the next production peek??)

Great video @cuckoo it’s lovely to see behind the scenes in such an open and honest way. Another example of how the TE business ethos is so far removed from other organisations out there.

I’m still hoping TE will choose to develop their turntable prototype for a wireless OD-11 setup.

Awesome stuff @cuckoo . Watched the vid, maybe I missed something, but I don't think it was addressed. Will there be sampling/loading samples at all with the OP-Z?

Thanks mate! It plays samples, but whether or not you can make your own sample pack and throw in there, and how much memory is on board, I don’t have a clue. Obviously they’ll be making a lot of packs, synth engines etc in their web store. And I think they want people to share too, but it’s all very early at this point. I certainly hope that you can throw your own samples on it with no questions asked. We’ll have to wait and see… (till the next production peek??)

That would be killer if you can throw user samples in there. Nice video dude, as always :wink:

I still don’t get the opZ. Some of the ideas are super cool, but it doesn’t really make sense to me yet.

I am hopeful but somehow very skeptical especially of the no screen choice… I like the idea of not having a screen when you don’t need it, and having a really big one when you want it, or any size you choose – that’s cool!

However I get the feeling that these little machines live more in the in between zone, where I want to edit on the train or on the go, and now I have to fumble with my phone and the opZ, it seems like it could be very clumsy and counter intuitive… The idea that after its set up you don’t need a screen, that’s cool… but then you get no visual feedback for setting fx parameters, envelope amounts, synth attrs, track properties etc. except for some tiny LEDs?.. This workflow is not a step forward in my mind, its a step back from the op1’s simple solutions.

On a side note, I love the PO machines too, but there are trade offs imposed there for size and fun, that do not resonate with me at all. Same with the opLAB. Its always going to be a compromise. Yes, the POs are very fun and opLAB does work, but imho TE is not quite hitting the mark the way they did with the op1.

For the opZ I hope its one of those things where it makes sense as soon as you try it.

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: thanks for posting and making the vid @cuckoo it really got me thinking about what the opZ can be and how do TE make their choices to suit everyone and their own goals.

Thanks for the share Cuckoo !

have to wonder what is on the back that required @cukoo to have to blur the video each time that angle was in frame. Secrets secrets!!!

If I were to guess I would say it has to do something with the interface of the visual components of the OP-Z.

thanks for the vid!

Great scoop Video Cuckoo. a few things:

Heard that ARP before somewhere :wink:
Connectivity is huge, if this can sequence CV out, OP-1 out, PO out, and MIDI in this could be the XO brainchild I am looking for.
Android tablet interface, management app would be excellent also (not just iOS)

@Polyoptics I totally hear you. I think the basic idea is that you should be able to use it with no screen. But during the learning process, using a screen for displaying the UI can be helpful. - Then, the whole visual/ midi sequencer will be very dependant on the visuals you’re controlling. If you have your visuals on a computer, you’ll need that computer to see the visuals. If you’re running your visuals from a phone, you’ll need that phone etc.

But indeed. The OP-1 is a benchmark in UI, that nobody really has suprassed imo. So departing from a visual UI is sort of sad, but it’s exciting too :slight_smile: I think the visual part will be interesting. How will people use it? Mostly for their own pleasure? As ingredients for a live show? A whole live show based on this?

I was using the OP-Z for about half an hour or so on my own, with no screen, and it came to me pretty quickly. I had to ask a few questions about the FX section. I hope they make more distinguishable prints on the different buttons, to make it easier to read the layout. And somewhat more distinguishable LED’s, perhaps?

@Polyoptics there´s a important thing there: maybe without the screen the OP-Z will be significantly cheaper than the OP-1.

Although we have room for discussion here, it´s a common place to say that the OP-1 is expensive - and after hardware like Novation Circuit, Volcas and Korg Minilogue, maybe the price of our beloved gear is really a little bit after the curve.

What´s your feeling about the price, @cuckoo?

You know I never really look at op1’s screen. And when I do it’s just for cues to know were I am. I’m usually listening and tweaking more then looking. At least for me the OPz is a God send. No more screen(better batt life) but more importantly those circular slide encoders look like a dream. Alot more intuitive to slide my finger(forcing gradual changes) then pinch a nipple and twist. Other then editing in the sampler I could operate the op1 without a screen. This is just me personally. I hope the opz will work with Chromecasts I have them all around the house. And I buy them for all my friends so I can put on w/e I want! As per price I thought the opz was around $300 or did I invent that because that’s how much I want to pay lol.

Finally and possibly the thing I’m most excited for is the opz seems so much more portable then the op1 or Po. Op1 needs a case with those knobs. And po barely have a case so I don’t really bring either anywhere. Opz will slide flat right into my bag!!! I’m pumped.