Good OP1 friendly apps

Firstly hats off to such a friendly forum. It’s encouraged me to join in the discussion.

Secondly apologies if this has been asked before.

What is your favourite app to use with the OP1 ?

I’m going to give modstep ago as I cannot play keys. I’m hoping that sequencing over midi might help me over that stumbling block plus any other app that can add to the fun.

Op-1 isn’t multitimbral so sequencing from elsewhere seems maybe kind of a waste of all the stuff that makes it unique? And the op-1 sequencers are pretty fun/immediate themselves if you want to avoid playing keys. I haven’t tried it in practise tho so YMMV.

For me the fun/benefits of OP-1 are sampling in to it (hardware, ios synths/samplers/noise/youtube), adding effects, recording stuff to ‘tape’, more effects, resampling, back to tape, etc etc… I like that ‘journey’ aspect of OP-1.

Yeah good point, I guess I need to experiment more on that front

Yep - re the sequencers, I’m much more likely to use the OP-1 sequencers to control other equipment. Mostlty I use the OP-1 for its self-containedness so I can compose when away travelling.

CB

I recommend getting something like the Line6 Sonic Port if you ever want to process audio on the iphone.
Since the OP-1 tape tracks are mono I like to use Multitrack DAW to record tracks with stereo fx. It plays well with a lot of other apps too. Sometimes I’ll use all 4 OP-1 tape tracks for the beat then record it into the app and start adding synth/sampler layers in stereo.

ThumbJam is pretty awesome. Aside from sounding good it has a feature which allows you to convert a pitched audio signal to midi and control the built in instruments as well as other apps. It does a decent job processing my guitar, even pitch bends and sustained notes. It’s nice to have the tactile control of strings without having to spring for a Jamstick or some other expensive controller.

Impaktor is fun if you like table drumming and want to make some quick loops. It can process bongo sounds really well and turn them into whatever sounds you generate with the app. An empty tea tin works well too. The app allows for a lot of tweaking and has its own reverb and delay.

DM1 is a decent drum machine/sequencer with a lot of sounds included.

NanoStudio is a beast, best all around iOS app for making beats in my opinion, but it’s overkill when paired with the OP-1.

AudioShare is very convenient for keeping all of your samples organized and easily accessible. It has a built in recorder and editor and you can use IAA/AudioBus compatible apps for fx processing.

The OP-1 is totally capable as a standalone workstation too, especially once you get comfortable with the various sequencers and resampling your sounds.

Sorry for rambling, hope some of this is helpful.
Peace.

Very helpful, thanks!

borderlands.

samplr.

fieldscaper on iphone ios.

borderlands.
samplr.
Just got boarderlands funnily enough. Blown away with it.

@hindsite cool! Def one of my all time favorites.

should have mentioned AUM as well. Incredible.

Thanks, will check it out

Patterning on iPad for drums. 1/8" cable out of the iPad straight into the OP-1. Really sounds just as good as moving the file digitally (to my surprise).

My first step in OP-1 track making is to record 4 or 5 patterning loops into the sampler and start my arrangement from there. Portability is retained as both are battery powered. Plus, I can get lots of tracks “started” with random iPad use throughout the week, then turn them into full tunes with the OP-1 on the weekend.

I love that you can do parameter locks with the Patterning app. Filter, decay, etc. It makes for very expressive drums. On my iPad, Patterning runs through AUM where I give it a touch of Altispace Reverb at 500hz and above. Very high quality sound hitting the OP-1 line input.

The OP1 and iPad work great together, here are my favourite apps:

http://i.imgur.com/81WE9eT.jpg

Sorry, you asked for favourite… ermmmm… Xynthesizr. The probability element is spectacular. Onboard synth sounds great too.

Patterning on iPad for drums. 1/8" cable out of the iPad straight into the OP-1. Really sounds just as good as moving the file digitally (to my surprise).

My first step in OP-1 track making is to record 4 or 5 patterning loops into the sampler and start my arrangement from there. Portability is retained as both are battery powered. Plus, I can get lots of tracks "started" with random iPad use throughout the week, then turn them into full tunes with the OP-1 on the weekend.

I love that you can do parameter locks with the Patterning app. Filter, decay, etc. It makes for very expressive drums. On my iPad, Patterning runs through AUM where I give it a touch of Altispace Reverb at 500hz and above. Very high quality sound hitting the OP-1 line input.

Yes! Got patterning at the time as boarderlands. Only had a quick go on it so far. Will have to check parameter locking out.
Interesting to hear your workflow regarding AUM. @bigbiscuits recommended that too. Deffo added to the quickly growing list.

Thanks @ghostly606 - what do you think of chordion?

Not sure how you would pair it with the OP-1 other than just straight sampling it, but the new Moog Model15 app is stellar. It may have a steep-ish learning curve if you are not familiar with analog synths, but man, the thing is so well designed and sounds amazing.

Thanks @ghostly606 - what do you think of chordion?

Chordion is terrific. I had a real Omnichord a few years ago and sold it for silly money and this is a great alternative. Sounds good, MIDI out and quick to get ideas together.

Had to Google omnichord. Wow never seen one of those before.

For a modern version check out Le Strum:

https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/le-strum-midi-strummed-chord-controller-kit/