Moogfest 2016

Is anyone else going this year?

I’m looking forward to see Reggie Watts, YACHT, Blood Orange, and Grimes. I want to go to as many events as possible including workshops and conversations.

Check out the lineup and share some recommendations!

Does anyone know if TE is doing something there? If they are hopefully I’ll be able to buy an OP-1.

I’m going.

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the past Moogfest. Would be interested in a report back here when you get back.

I’m going.

Who do you plan on seeing?

I’ve heard mixed reviews on the past Moogfest. Would be interested in a report back here when you get back.

I’ve heard some mixed reviews too. Heard they lost a bunch of money in 2014. I’ll give a report when i return. I’m mostly going to venture out of my musical preference so I can get a good taste of whats happenin’ in the electronic scene.

Interesting, what are the knocks against moog fest? Always wanted to check it out.

Interesting, what are the knocks against moog fest? Always wanted to check it out.

I’ve read that it used to be run by a big company that also put together a lot of other festivals. That company forced them to book mainstream bands that weren’t very electronic-y. Now that they have parted ways with that company they had the issue with budgeting but in turn a lot more creative freedom. And now they book a lot more lesser known experimental/avant-garde artists, which is a huge plus for me because it fascinates me seeing all flavors of a genre instead of just the ones everyone knows. Its a dream festival for me, workshops and interesting people doing presentations by day and lots of cool music by night.

I’ve read that it used to be run by a big company that also put together a lot of other festivals. That company forced them to book mainstream bands that weren’t very electronic-y. Now that they have parted ways with that company they had the issue with budgeting but in turn a lot more creative freedom. And now they book a lot more lesser known experimental/avant-garde artists, which is a huge plus for me because it fascinates me seeing all flavors of a genre instead of just the ones everyone knows. Its a dream festival for me, workshops and interesting people doing presentations by day and lots of cool music by night.

Thanks for the info!

Speaking of Moog, they just dropped their Moog 15 Modular app:

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/model-15-app

Looks impressive, although I’ve found that, since owning the OP-1, I turn to my software synths far less often than in the past.
Speaking of Moog, they just dropped their Moog 15 Modular app:

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/apps/model-15-app

Looks impressive, although I've found that, since owning the OP-1, I turn to my software synths far less often than in the past.

Looks cool! I am not the biggest fan of software synths either. I feel like it creates an unnecessary barrier between you and the sound. That’s part of what draws me to the OP-1. I’m more of a hands-on kind of person. Touch screens/clicking a mouse doesn’t really cut it.

I’m going.

Who do you plan on seeing?

I’ve heard some mixed reviews too. Heard they lost a bunch of money in 2014. I’ll give a report when i return. I’m mostly going to venture out of my musical preference so I can get a good taste of whats happenin’ in the electronic scene.

i went to the last two moogfests in asheville. i had a lot of fun at both but many of the artists i wanted to see were playing at tiny venues (but i got to see kraftwerk twice). i think it just outgrew asheville and this is the first year it’s in durham so i wouldn’t really know what to expect there. not going this year as there aren’t that many artists that interest me and i wasn’t ever able to get any of the really cheap early bird tickets that sold out in seconds

So what was everyone’s opinion of Moogfest this year now that it’s a wrap? I went this year, and ironically that’s where I bought my OP-1. I did love the Moog store, and the Modular Marketplace. Saw some good music - some I remember more than others. Gary Numan was the headliner this year. Frankly I’d have much rather seen several of the acts they had in previous years, such as Georgio or Chvrches. But it was overall a good experience. I don’t know if I’ll do it again or not.

Does anyone know what synth they made/assembled with the Engineer Package?

Moog BFAM - Brother from another mother

https://youtu.be/QgACJfO_Cz8