On PO-20 can you write chords to a pattern?

Hi All,

Got my first Pocket Operator on Friday and have been having a lot of fun with it. One thing I’m trying to figure out is, is it possible to write chords on a per pattern basis?

It seems like the chord progression I setup is ‘global’, they travel with me between different patterns. Which could be nice for playing live, but I want to make a new progression and not lose the old one.

I think maybe I just am missing how to ‘write’ (save) the progression to a pattern, if anyone knows would appreciate a little hand holding.

thanks!

From what I have noticed, this does not seem possible. One way to be sure is to wait for the pattern to save (someone said this happens every so often), take the batteries out, put them back in, and see if the progression is still there. But I feel like I did this and it didn’t save.

Welp that’s a bummer. FX don’t seem to be writable either, so I guess chords are in the same category as that.

If what you’re asking is “can each pattern I create have its own dedicated chord” - then sadly no - each pattern (bar) has 1 chord. So what you need to do is chain the patterns and then also chain the entire chord progression for the song.

CB

If what you’re asking is “can each pattern I create have its own dedicated chord” - then sadly no - each pattern (bar) has 1 chord. So what you need to do is chain the patterns and then also chain the entire chord progression for the song.

CB

Yes that’s what I was asking. Maybe I’m thinking about the PO in the wrong way. Because the PO comes preloaded with multiple patterns that are like different “songs” that don’t seem to be related at all, I sort of was thinking of each pattern as a “song”.

But I think what you are saying is all the patterns on the PO add up to a single “song”, in that context the chords being global and not pattern-specific makes sense to me.

Well ok - but a single song with 16 very different patterns would be “trying too hard” in my book!

Not sure what other folk do, but I tend to create a single “well stocked” pattern for each of verse, chorus and bridge, then subtract layers from them as I need.

Then either:
- chain the patterns together so you have intro verse verse chorus verse verse chorus bridge chorus chorus outro or whatever your structure is, and in this case you’d have 80-100 patterns in the chain (but maybe only 8-10 stored patterns, these just being variations of 3 basic patterns so it’s not too busy)
or
- import to a DAW and do the arrangement there

There are many ways to skin a cat.

CB

Huh, really interesting to hear your workflow.

So with that, let’s say the song you are writing uses multiple different chord progressions. One progression for the verse, one for the bridge, one for the chorus.

Are you just punching in a massive chord progression at the beginning, or sort of live play the chord progression as you go? I guess the latter would make more sense, just requires you to like, ya know, remember your progession ;P.

I bought a notebook, so i could jot down my song structures on the Arcade. helps working out which patterns and chords go where. Low tech!

So you’ve a number of options:

- if a small chord progression repeats itself throughout the song, you can just configure that small progression
- or you can config the progression for the entire song
- or you can play it live, configuring the chord progression as you go along
- or import and edit in a DAW

CB

Cool, that all makes sense, thanks!

We should have an ask CB corner .
Inhouse arrangement advice courtesy of @cloudburst :wink:

Ha ha. The down-side is that I’m not much good at it. So I’d probably treat my advice with a fair bit of caution!

CB

You are good buddy.You know your song styles.

I kinda wish the PO-20 had a global transpose feature. I’m getting a little bored with using the exact same chord set every time… that said I do have a Boss RPS-10 so could probably do a crude transpose with that :smiley:

I’d prefer to see it implemented differently:

• firstly have a sound (or sounds) which allows all the individual notes to be altered by a semitone (a la PO-16) - this feature would be great on the Robot too
  • then allow the user to choose 3 or 4 notes to form a chord and assign this chord to one of the keys to be used with the chord function to create a progression

However, on the other hand, this increases flexibility and reduces the PO limitations which a lot of folk find help threm be creative :slight_smile:

CB