external effects

In case I bork my new op1 I thought I’d ask this (apologies if it’s a daft q).

Can I hook up guitar pedals (delays and reverbs) to the output then route straight back into the op1 for recording to tape? Or will that create a feedback loop and wreck tlit?

I’ve not done this.
There is a risk if hitting wrong track while ear is switched on.
But guessing tape tracks could be bounced this way,doubting if live synths could be recorded with ext fx .
Lower mixer volume to zero for destination track.select that track ,then switch on ear.
A mixer seems essential or another way of monitoring your fx unit as OP1 won’t be routing it.

This isn’t something id try for fear of popping my i/o board,simply by wrong button combo…hitting another track .

Not positive on this either, but I would reason that since the main output volume is the source signal in that scenario you would create a feedback loop.
If there were an option to not monitor the OP1 input while recording then it could be possible, although you wouldn’t hear what you’re playing unless you added a headphone splitter or mixer between your last external module and the OP1 input.

I agree with @Spheric_El on this, I wouldn’t try it.

Damn, glad I asked though. Thanks.

You will indeed create a feedback loop. I’ve done this personally. Someone has posted a method for doing it though, I don’t know where or who off the top of my head.

@KrisM
Here is the post I think you were referencing.

I didn’t think about muting the target track from the MIXER screen…
- Put your source sounds on tape track 1 and run your OP1 output to your fx unit input
- Mute tape track 2 from the MIXER screen and keep track 2 selected
- Using a Y splitter on the fx unit output, run one line to the OP1 input and plug headphones into the other Y port
- Press REC and PLAY simultaneously on OP1 and you’re in business
- DO NOT UNMUTE TRACK 2 WITHOUT FIRST MUTING THE OP1 INPUT

That should avoid the feedback loop, although you will be recording MONO if I’m not mistaken…not ideal for panning fx.

@KrisM
Here is the post I think you were referencing.

I didn't think about muting the target track from the MIXER screen...
- Put your source sounds on tape track 1 and run your OP1 output to your fx unit input
- Mute tape track 2 from the MIXER screen and keep track 2 selected
- Using a Y splitter on the fx unit output, run one line to the OP1 input and plug headphones into the other Y port
- Press REC and PLAY simultaneously on OP1 and you're in business
- DO NOT UNMUTE TRACK 2 WITHOUT FIRST MUTING THE OP1 INPUT

That should avoid the feedback loop, although you will be recording MONO if I'm not mistaken...not ideal for panning fx.

This seems to work well (unless I’m missing something). But It will only work for audio that is already on tape and not if you want to record it in on the fly through the effects – because you’d have to unmute and you’ll get feedback, right?

I just got some really cool sounds by looping into a triple delay and reverb and back into the OP and keeping the feedback stable with the volume whilst playing some really low notes and sounds :slight_smile:

i wonder if you can freak some of the fx w/ the feedback loop…? like delay, grid, reverb or COWWWWWWWWW especially.

i think u are right tho @juggler

you need to unmute the tape track so the synth or whatever your playing hits the output jack but by doing so you create the feedback loop….not sure how you get around that in the box.

its not so much trouble to just record your playing to tape first then do the external fx thing. might be how you gotta roll to work it.

depending on your fx device, you can bounce shit back and forth between your op1 and fx.
sp’s and minikp2’s are cool for this.

I get that it can create a feedback loop which sounds shit but why would this actually harm the OP-1?

I tried splitting the line out. One sent to headphones, the other to an external effect and back into the OP-1. Worked but did give feedback so not a solution. No damage however. This differs to aforementioned methods as they split the audio after the effect where I split it straight out of the OP-1. Still keen to find the best method.

Did you turn the master fx off? (as these can be stereo). And pan source and destination tracks?

Also stay in tape mode and avoid synth or drum.