What do you think about Novation Circuit?

Hello!

I´m thinking about buying a Novation Circuit - the simplier, portable and more acessible the hardwares that I use, the more music I do :slight_smile:

I´m pretty sure that we have some users of Circuit here. What do you think about it? The synths are interesting? The new sample capabilites are cool? The MIDI sync just works? It´s cool to use it with OP-1 (or even Analog Rytm/Octatrack)? How do you use it? :slight_smile:

I had one, I liked it at first but after a while found that I was not using it much, then I had trouble getting the update to work using their web interface so I sold it with no regrets, there are tons of them second hand on ebay, so maybe check out a used one, then if you don’t like it you could resell without losing too much money.

Having watched quickly a few vids, it is not very clear if you would need to be to be a keyboardist to get the most out of the synths, be able to play chords etc.

Looks like a great device none the less especially after the last update.

I’ve been eyeing the thing for quite some time. Maybe @darenager or somebody has insight concerning my plan:

The Circuit is, to my mind, perfect for sketching stuff out. And once I have something interesting down, I’d like to be able to record the MIDI from the Circuit to another hardware sequencer. So at this point, the Circuit becomes a sound module / controller… Would there be any problems with, I don’t know, syncing the Circuit to the other sequencer, playing / recording sequences to the Circuit from an external source, or something else?

If this is doable, it’s very very hard to resist. :slight_smile:

I love mine, so incredibly immediate. You can get a decent pattern sketched out within 2 mins of switch on.

The Circuit is totally MIDI controllable, most of the synth parameters are accessible via CCs, the rest via NRPN. 6 part polyphony on each of the synth parts.

Note resolution is limited to 1/16ths and note duration currently limited to 16 1/16ths (i.e. 1 bar). That is currently the only negative for me workflow wise. That and only having 2 parts but I find that using the same synth part for bass and leads sounds works well leaving the other part for pads. Alternatively, you can now use the Sample playback engine to play synth parts. I know there is an issue with decay times so it can't handle say, drones, but I haven't checked this out yet.

You are not limited like Elektrons on chords. Notes can overlap.

And it works great with the OP1, I did a few wee improv vids a while back when I first got it :) :

https://youtu.be/jR0a6A3ovvo

https://youtu.be/3HiAcTsFJeE

https://youtu.be/JC8Z_ba4r2E

My wife picked one up months ago and loves it.
I wasn’t interested in it until this last firmware update with the sample import and standalone editor.
Now it’s a very appealing, though I prefer my Elektrons more.

4 drum parts may sound limiting, but using an open hat and p-locking the decay to turn it into a choked closed hat on the same part gets you 5 parts. And p-locking pitch on toms gives you more toms on one part. So, with light programming, one can get a more complete drum kit out of the 4 parts.

The synth editor makes the synth far more usable. Customizing the macros is a bonus.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

@darenager That´s really interesting! :) What do you think that Circuit surpasses Elektron gear? About the sound quality, a lot of videos that I watch I hear a very "plastic" sound. Isn´t a livid, beautiful digital sound like the OP-1 or with some "crunch" like the old Electribes, but a more sterile one. However, I know that people do weird choices in Youtube and some videos (like the great one that @ghostly606 did!) are really nice. You think that the sound quality is good or you have to work a lot to have it sounding warmer?

@ghostly606 really cool video, thanks a lot for showing your sound and skills! :) One of the best with the Circuit. Did you recorded something? I wanna hear the "raw" sound of the Circuit.

@AdamJay I have a Octatrack, an Analog Rytm (which I´m doing a lot of lives right now) and a Volca Sample. I´m thinking that maybe the Circuit will be just a slightly different approach to the same things, you know? What do you think?

I need to quicky choice between the Novation Circuit or the Roland JU-06 (although very different, I have money just for one). The doubt is killing me! :)

Where are you @aeoner? I am selling my JU06. Which tells you where it stands relative to the Circuit in my book. :slight_smile:

@ghostly606 in Brazil, BUT i’ll be in Portugal and Spain for 19 days :slight_smile: Are you in Europe?

I am in Scotland. Selling with K25M keyboard. Let me know if you’re interested, maybe via PM. :slight_smile:

My wife picked one up months ago and loves it.
I wasn't interested in it until this last firmware update with the sample import and standalone editor.
Now it's a very appealing, though I prefer my Elektrons more.

4 drum parts may sound limiting, but using an open hat and p-locking the decay to turn it into a choked closed hat on the same part gets you 5 parts. And p-locking pitch on toms gives you more toms on one part. So, with light programming, one can get a more complete drum kit out of the 4 parts.

The synth editor makes the synth far more usable. Customizing the macros is a bonus.

I know that when you jump from song to song, while playing, the same BPM is maintained. Curious; during that phase, will pressing the next song immediately jump, or does it wait till the end of the sequence?

^You can do either, holding shift toggles.

I always fancied one for sequencing my Nord Drum 2, would be perfect.
Short on the old queen sheets at the mo so will have to wait.
Great unit though, have read the manual several times, the new update with the user import is great.
For the price I don’t think you can go wrong, take it everywhere…

^You can do either, holding shift toggles.

Thanks so much for that quick reply. It has certainly pushed me over the fence.

@AdamJay I have a Octatrack, an Analog Rytm (which I´m doing a lot of lives right now) and a Volca Sample. I´m thinking that maybe the Circuit will be just a slightly different approach to the same things, you know? What do you think?

I need to quicky choice between the Novation Circuit or the Roland JU-06 (although very different, I have money just for one). The doubt is killing me! :)

Well, you definitely need a synth, that's for sure. :)
Between the Circuit and JU-06, I would go with the Circuit. It's sequencer is polyphonic, and it is a Bi-timbral synth.
The JU-06's midi spec is weak, so it's a bit stunted for sequencing from the OT (CC#s and such). With the Circuit's midi spec, you could have a MIDI track on the OT set up just for dedicated CC parameter control, and/or utilize the OT MIDI LFOs/LFO designer to take the Circuit further. I think it would interface with your current gear better.
While the JU-06 has great realtime control, it's not nearly as deep. Both have chorus.

I look at the synth side of the Circuit as kind of a poor-man's Analog Four, which is my favorite synth (also, nothing against poor men). It does a lot of similar things.
It is a 2 OSC polyphonic synth, with p-locks and realtime recording, , multi mode filters, a few envelopes, similar FX, a couple LFOs, performance macros, etc.
If I didn't own my A4, I'd be content with the Circuit as my only synth.

I’d kill for an update that allows 32-64 beat patterns w/o the chaining. And an iPad companion app that allows adding samples, synth tweaking & backup.

I really want an iOS app to manage backup/restore and sample management. Other tha that, I really like my Circuit!

Anybody use Circuit as just a midi controller? Looks like it could be used as a chord bot of sorts.

Anybody use Circuit as just a midi controller? Looks like it could be used as a chord bot of sorts.

I use it quite a bit to trigger chords. Mute the synth engine in the mixer page and set each step to trigger a chord. Then simply press the step and your chord will sound. This works on internal engine or MIDI.

i use it a lot too as a midi controller for my other synths.

love that it is pretty portable too for on the go grid / scale / synthing and sequencing.