HELP, weird digital noise issue using 'string' synth

Hello, I’m experiencing some weird digital noise when playing the string synth. It seems like there is some kind of voice overload going on? Has anyone else experienced this issue? I really love the sound that I’m getting from the OP-1 but the digital noise is killing the vibe…

https://soundcloud.com/ndstudio-759538222/op-1-issue

Does anyone have an idea as to what this might be? Is something wrong with my OP-1?

Hey, please let me know the specs of the patch you recorded this short demo with. I’ll try to recreate the digital noise. So far I haven’ t come upon issues like this.

Sure, heres the patch http://www.nathanstaton.com/files/20180501_0322.aif

Let me know how that sounds on your OP-1 when you get the chance. Thanks!

What are the FX on the synth + on the Master ?

Thanks, I will upload it to my OP1 and see...ehm...hear how it sounds. Will report back as soon as I get there.
...and it's this soon... I just did a little testing with the patch in question and experienced exactly the same 'overload' effect as it is heard in the short demo @ndstudio had posted. It indeed sounds way weirder than it's customary in the OP1's digitail domain, yet I can't explain what may be the source of the problem, if this is a problem at all. First I thought it was the LFO but then I was able to reproduce the same overload with the dry synth patch alone. Neither did setting the playmode from poly to mono, legato or unison fix the issue. Like I said though, I'm not sure this is an issue as all the other string engine patches (and those of the other engines) seem to work as they should, so I come to think that this overload kind of effect is somehow coded in the patch itself, that's why it sounds exactly the same on two different OP1s. So i guess the good news is that your OP1 works all right. :) But this brings in a question as well: do the other String patches on your synth produce any kind of overload anomalies? Only if they do we can assume something may be wrong with the unit. If however, this is the only patch with a twist, it's the patch and not the synth acting out strangely.

Thanks, I will upload it to my OP1 and see...ehm...hear how it sounds. Will report back as soon as I get there.
...and it's this soon... I just did a little testing with the patch in question and experienced exactly the same 'overload' effect as it is heard in the short demo @ndstudio had posted. It indeed sounds way weirder than it's customary in the OP1's digitail domain, yet I can't explain what may be the source of the problem, if this is a problem at all. First I thought it was the LFO but then I was able to reproduce the same overload with the dry synth patch alone. Neither did setting the playmode from poly to mono, legato or unison fix the issue. Like I said though, I'm not sure this is an issue as all the other string engine patches (and those of the other engines) seem to work as they should, so I come to think that this overload kind of effect is somehow coded in the patch itself, that's why it sounds exactly the same on two different OP1s. So i guess the good news is that your OP1 works all right. :) But this brings in a question as well: do the other String patches on your synth produce any kind of overload anomalies? Only if they do we can assume something may be wrong with the unit. If however, this is the only patch with a twist, it's the patch and not the synth acting out strangely.

Thanks jooga1972 for testing it out on your OP-1 and for the detailed analysis. I will try and see if I can recreate this issue on another patch. I really hope that this is a patch issue because I honestly like the sound of the patch and would really like to use it.

for what it’s worth

op-1{
“adsr”:[12736,13306,27647,3068,4000,4000,4000,4000],
“fx_active”:false,
“fx_params”:[8064,18136,9468,17802,8000,8000,8000,8000],
“fx_type”:“delay”,
“knobs”:[8256,23328,0,8256,0,0,0,0],
“lfo_active”:true,
“lfo_params”:[22586,1019,0,16031,4000,4000,4000,4000],
“lfo_type”:“tremolo”,
“name”:“20180501_0322”,“octave”:0,“synth_version”:1,“type”:“string”
}

if the keys (knobs, name, etc) are ordered alphabetically, then “knobs”:[8256,23328,0,8256,0,0,0,0] is the one in question.

Looks like this happens regardless to the patch. I loaded another patch for the string synth and turned the green to max, the blue to max, the white to max, and the red to zero and I still heard the issue. Also I noticed that the digital noise only seems to happen on the higher octaves. :confused:

Very interesting… Weird that this has never been pointed out sooner.

Cool thing is I kind of like this overloaded sound ^^
Thx for the receipe @ndstudio ! :smiley:

What’s your Drive setting in master section? Also master effects ?

No master effects and my drive was at 11 and release was 4. This made no difference to the sound. I guess the only way to actually play this sound is to record a sample of a single note an octave low. Then I could potentially play the sound (not exactly ideal…)

recreated this as well.

the digi-stortion is actually kind of rad… though the clean sound would be nice!

sorry for your loss @ndstudio
recreated this as well.

the digi-stortion is actually kind of rad... though the clean sound would be nice!

sorry for your loss @ndstudio

You win some, you lose some.

your resampling idea is a good one anyway… i’m gunna try that.