Ranking the Pocket Operators.

Hey fam, had some time to jam with the new PO-20 series lately. Now that people have had some time to try them all, which ones do you like best? Tell me in list form fav to least fav, here we go!!

1. PO-12
  2. PO-14
  3. PO-28
  4. PO-20
  5. PO-24
  6. PO-16

They’re all good fun tho! Sorry PO16 I just don’t like plucky sounds that much.

1. PO12
  2. PO16 (sold)
  3. PO14 (sold)

Got a PO20 coming this week though so see how that fits in.

1. PO-24 Office
  2. PO-14 Sub
  3. PO-28 Robot
  4. PO-12 Rhythm
  5. PO-16 Factory
  6. PO-20 Arcade
PO-12 Rhythm, the King of them all. Cool for using with other gear, yet with a very distinct sound.
PO-16 Factory, for the standalone ability
(as @Eti underneath, I want to promote this underrated PO with one of my favorite tracks)
https://soundcloud.com/lying-dalai/factory-works

PO-14 Sub : I never use it, maybe there's something I've overlooked in this one... I'll use it for the PO Battle !

PO-20 + PO-28 on the road...
PO-24 : forever mystery.

PO-20 Arcade - lots of possibilities here, drums+chords+drone+effects AND all of this in an 8bit style, how can you beat that?
PO-16 Factory - like @LyingDalai said, a very capable standalone beast (shameless self promotion, only PO-16: https://soundcloud.com/vulcanor/sugarboys-adventures)
PO-28 Robot - the lead capability itself is killer but drum track + melody sequencer + solo is a lot of fun in one little device
PO-12 Rythm - never owned any other hardware drum machine but this one will probably be the only one I will ever need
PO- 24 Office - very strange rythm thing, I am not sure I will be able to integrate this in a lot of my work but it sounds fun and the solo option is nice!
PO-14 Sub - I am not found of the sounds, I am not a big fan of the drums.

But I guess it depends on what you are doing with them, I can perfectly understand why some prefer the PO-12 or PO-24 for instance.

1. PO-12
    2. PO-24
    3. PO-20
    4. PO-14
    5. PO-16
    6. PO-28

Though ranked, there is not much between them for me. I think each offers something different and each are good at what they do. Chords on Arcade is a real plus and Office was a surprise to me - going by the online description, I wasn’t too excited, and then when I got one and started using it, I really liked it and find it a great device for producing interesting rhythms.

12, 20, 14

surprised by all the office love. only b/c if u go by a lot of the other threads (or at least what I can recall). seems to almost never get mentioned!

it seems like a 12 with new samples. does it have any new functionality? i was actually about to buy another 12. one for portable and one for my modular.

IMHO

it seems like a 12 with new samples. does it have any new functionality? i was actually about to buy another 12. one for portable and one for my modular.
Solo functionality and some different interesting fx

1- PO-12 Rhythm
2- PO-28 Robot
3- PO-20 Arcade
4- PO-14 Sub
5- PO-16 Factory
6- PO-24 Office

This thread is doing no favors to my PO GAS.

:slight_smile:

Nice lists y’all keep em coming.

the kick on the office sounds awesome; it’d be quite nice alongside the kick from the PO-12, which I think is way too short for the kind of music I want to make

So interesting you say that, I can't find a suitable kick noise on the office. Lots of good hi hat and snare/clap type stuff

the kick on the office sounds awesome; it’d be quite nice alongside the kick from the PO-12, which I think is way too short for the kind of music I want to make

1. PO12
  2. PO16 (sold)
  3. PO14 (sold)

Got a PO20 coming this week though so see how that fits in.

PO20 PO12 PO16 PO14

Rhythm - I havent used more expensive/professional drum machines but this is a dream come true for sounds and performance features in a drum machine for me.

Office - A little weak by itself, but very effective paired with other machines, especially the rhythm.

12/24 + a volca beats have made my techno dreams come true.

Sub - MASSIVE bass out of this one, love feeling like I’m blowing the speakers at any volume

Factory - Better at making filthy lofi textures than melodies. The micro drum kit is strong.

Arcade - Dont own one but got to try it out for a short amount of time. It doesnt really gel with what I want to make musically, but still cool.

Robot - Only last because I dont own one and have never tried it.

Lots of PO-12 love. I haven’t dug into mine much really but of the OG PO Trilogy it’s probably my favorite, too.

wow robot is really nice. i really like how they went for expanding composition & making tunes on the new series. like chord on arcade and the 3 part thing on robot.