this may be old hat... but reversing a sample

it you are in drum mode and you want a reverse hit hold shift and turn the blue knob to change the direction of the sample.

My fave reverse trick is the one that @pilzurlauf from the old forum enlightened me about…

Sync start a reverse recording to tape by holding down record + 5 (reverse tape trick button) and then triggering your sound. You have to hold down 5 for as long as you want the reverse recording to happen (which feels a bit strange).

Get familiar with that one if you don’t know it, it’s useful in so many situations.

Hello! I’m here with a new name @yoof.
My favorite is the reverseplay bug. If you hold chop and press play on a loop point you get in a “reverse play mode”, everything in and after the loop will always be played and recorded in reverse so you dont have to hold the 5 key all the time. To exit this “mode” play the tape before the loop.
I love all this reveseplay tricks and use them in every track. For example for an extra long reverse crash just reverse-record a normal crash with the spring FX.

Hehe cool. I think I’m detecting a pattern in your usernames :wink: Gonna defo give that “reverse play mode” a go tomorrow. Keep up the tips :slight_smile:

I reproduced the same behavior on 241. I was practicing using the chop button while a very short looped looped tape section was playing, which resulted in pressing chop at the loop point, causing the reverse. I searched the forums and couldn’t find any mention of it as a bug. A couple workarounds: make the loop longer, or be musically aware of where the loop point in, and avoid pressing chop then.

On a side note, I struggled to exit the chop technique in a way that preserved the beat / meter of the piece. To the extent that this “chop” technique precedes a downbeat, one solution to my problem is to hold the chop key during the chop technique, then press the play key when exiting the chop technique. This takes me back to the beginning of the tape loop, which, if it’s repetitive, is okay.

After owning my OP-1 for three weeks, I finally played around with the chop key last night. It is a great test of musical response / timing…to listen to a drum track, then place the chop technique in the right place. A split second earlier or later, and the result is totally different. If you can get the same bit of audio to repeat on subsequent presses of the chop key, you know your timing is good! Definitely doable, but takes some practice.