One very simple addition to the tape sequencer would make writing so much easier

Simply an ‘add silence’ option would make sequencing way more intuitive. What I mean is the ability to line the tape head up to a single point in the project, and for you to be able to click one button to add a standard sized silent gap (say, 1 bar in length) to that track, thereby shifting everything after it in the project 1 bar to the right. Clicking shift and pushing this button could add the same amount of silence to each of the four tracks, shifting everything in the entire project 1 bar to the right.

This would be good because:

1) The lack of ability to save tape projects to the internal memory means that sometimes I want to shift my project to the end of the 6 minutes so that I can work on something new before I manage to back up my work on a computer.

2) Backtracking through a project on the OP-1 is currently the biggest chore for me. Instead of adding silence, I have to ‘lift’ chunks of the project (maximum 22 seconds lift time) and place them to the right, making sure I line all the chunks up when I’m done. I do this instead of holding shift and lining things up because: lining things up automatically by ‘snapping’ to the markers in the tape is far more reliable than sliding the track around by eye; and sliding only allows you to slide a single clip (sliding a whole section of a project would mean using the join button to glue everything together, and then sliding that whole section).

I feel like, whilst things like quantize and an undo button would be difficult to incorporate, this is a very easy function to add! The only issue I can see with this is that when the BPM and tape speed aren’t linked (under the metronome button), there are no strict ‘bars’, meaning a standard gap of silence to add couldn’t be measured in bars. Even then, it could be that unlinking BPM and tape speed means that the gap of silence could be measured in seconds and could be, say, the standard length of 4 seconds. If there’s any confusion as to what I mean by all this, refer to the ‘add silence’ feature in Ableton Live.

What do people think of this? Is there a simpler solution to how I’ve described things above that already exists on the OP-1?

You can shift the work with the shift key and the blue encoder, but I think it’s only one track at a time and analogue.

why not just start a new thing after the things u already have on the tape? add a lil gap and start right on a new bar or whatever u wanna do.

why not just start a new thing after the things u already have on the tape? add a lil gap and start right on a new bar or whatever u wanna do.

this

Could do, but it’s nice to still be able to use the stop + left button to go to the start of the project. I tend to use that a lot. The most pressing issue is the difficulty of having to shift everything along before adding a new part to a track, however - I can deal with starting a new project after the current one.

You can shift the work with the shift key and the blue encoder, but I think it’s only one track at a time and analogue.

You can shift one single part that you’ve recorded, but if there’s a part after that, it will just ‘bump into’ whatever’s a head. THe only way around this would be to glue all the recorded parts together and shift the whole thing.