OP-1 Midi Control and Recording

I know there are a few threads about the OP-1 and midi but I didn’t want to hijack those since this question is pretty specific.
I’d like to use an external midi keyboard to control the OP-1 (+ sequencing w/ Ableton tempo), and then run the output of the OP-1 into my interface to record directly into Live, but there are some issues. The problem with this, as you all know, is that having the OP-1 connected via midi creates tons of noise and basically renders any recording with the USB connected useless. Are there any ways around this that you guys might be able to think of?

- T

Have you tried turning off USB charging?

CB

Enabling/disabling charging makes no difference.

How pronounced is this noise? The noise floor is higher with USB charging on, but is quite normal once it’s off. Perhaps your noise is of a different source.

are u using the TE supplied usb cable? or a regular one? sometimes wack cables can cause funky operation. maybe try another one.

some ppl say using a headphone amp like the FiiO e6 or something can get rid of noise.

u could also maybe try a DI box or something? maybe also try to lift the ground w/ that as well?

i never noticed any noise using Midi via Kenton USB Midi Host. or via an iPad w/ the CCK.
i never really use the MIDI w a computer like that.

this sounds maybe a lil hokey too, but try a factory reset maybe? sometimes helps fix weird issues.

Its pretty loud. It seems that it’s only when the OP-1 is connected by the factory supplied USB. I’ve checked all of the cables individually and everything sounds fine until I use the setup as described. For whatever reason, having sort of a loop between the OP-1 -> interface -> computer -> back to OP-1, creates a lot of noise.

I’ve found the answer, so far. When I connect the extra power supply to my USB hub, the noise goes away. Could it have something to do with grounding when the power supply is connected?

maybe or maybe that your USB hub is getting the full power it requires now and wasn’t before from just the bus power? either way nice!

u could try plugging it straight into your computer usb and see if the noise goes away too.