Mixer for Pocket Operators

I got my pocket operators from Amazon on their crazy Black Friday offer! However, I don’t link the way the volume is linked when all devices are connected using the built in sync cables. Also the drum machine OP-12 loses too much sound quality through the pass through for my liking. What would you recommend in the way of a pocket mixer to allow me to get individual volume channels as well as good quality sound? Would be good to have something that is just as portable as the Pocket Operators.

Cheers!!!

Did you see this thread?

http://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1019/swiss-army-knife-for-pocket-operators-op1-volca-modular-etc
1 Like

I saw that. But assumed it was a limited run. Is darenager still creating these?

@canispeaktodave Yes, I still have both the 6 channel stereo version and the 4 channel mono/stereo version.

@darenager Amazing, how do I go about purchasing the 6-channel one?

@canispeaktodave I PM’ed you :slight_smile:

Belkin Rockstar is the alternative.

^ Not really, it is a headphone splitter with 32 ohms impedance, sure, people use them as mixers and they will indeed merge signals but you are also sending some of the signal from each output into the other outputs, not a good idea as you are loading the output stage of each connected device, degraded signal, and possible damage in the long term, my mixers have 10k impedance per the recommended line input specification.

Not quite sure what @tralivallo’s motivation was for posting the previous comment. Perhaps he will tell us.

However, given the context, I’d really want to ensure I knew both devices inside out before posting advice such as he has provided.

Thanks @darenager, for making these…and for delivering so quickly.

CB
^ Not really, it is a headphone splitter with 32 ohms impedance, sure, people use them as mixers and they will indeed merge signals but you are also sending some of the signal from each output into the other outputs, not a good idea as you are loading the output stage of each connected device, degraded signal, and possible damage in the long term, [].

Technically i guess you are right. Not sure about damage, never heard of that, but indeed there can be impedance issues in some cases, like some kind of distortions. Your device, if properly designed fer dedicated tasks, have a preference, but not all people can purchase it. For example, i just can’t pay £50 for shipping, waiting for a month, and have issues with the customs to get £20 thing, sorry.

@cloudburst yes, i can tell, because everybody use it for similar purposes (pocket mixing they korg volcas or other stuff) for years and nobody yet had major problems with it. If two things doing similar things, it calls alternative. I have one, use it to mix op-1 with ipad on the way, and have not any problems. By the way, are you definitely a musician, not a lawyer?

^ I understand price is an issue for some people and shipping from UK is expensive for tracked and insured (£9 not £50!) I do think though that the Belkin is roughly half the price of mine, but all the parts used in it probably cost less to Belkin than I pay for just one of the 2 precision resistor networks used in my design, and mine are handmade and purpose built for the task, so I believe that they represent fair value, TBH It would not be worthwhile selling them for less.

If cost is a major issue though then simply splicing together a few cables would be cheaper than the Belkin and offer about the same (none!) amount of protection from loading the outputs of the gear. I am not trying to scaremonger about the damage, it might happen it might not, too many factors to say for sure, what I can say with certainty though is that my mixers will not allow damage to occur, and when dealing with equipment that costs a fair bit of money I prefer to not take the chance.

The thing to bear in mind is that high impedance (like line level) inputs do not place connected items under load, and yes you are right that all over the internet you will see people recommending the Belkin for mixing such devices, but not one professional :slight_smile:

@cloudburst - thanks for letting me know and hope you enjoy it :slight_smile:

1 Like

@darenager just picked up the mixer from royal mail. Thank God they didn’t post it, the dogs destroyed the missed delivery slip. I have to say your device is fantastic quality, so much better than the built in pass through. Thanks again!

@canispeaktodave Thanks for the compliment on the quality and glad the doggies did not eat it :slight_smile:

Hello, Darenager!

I am a new PO user and I am looking for a mixer, because I would like to have a possibility to record at least 3 PO’s at once, having headphones on and recording everything at the same time.

Do you still make them or not anymore? I admire your work and effort!

Thank you! If possible, reply to my email DeividasGikis@protonmail.com!

2 Likes

Hi! I’d be interested in your 6 channel stereo version -

@tommybanjo I might still have one in stock, DM me if interested, sorry for late reply I don’t log in much anymore.

Hey Daren - I’m not sure if this counts as DM … my email is tbledford@gmail.com if you’d like to reach me there - thanks for getting back to me - I have an OP-1 and a few pocket operators - I’d really like a compact option for mixing and syncing them all together if you have any ideas -

Bryan