Push 2 with OP1?

I just got Push 2. It’s blowing my mind just like the OP1 did when I first got it.

The pads are a really nice way to play the OP1, if you route it through Ableton’s MIDI control. I like the OP1 keyboard obviously, but Push offers a really natural way to play OP1’s sounds, especially bells, pads etc.

I really like being able to programme the OP1 drums without using the onboard sequencers for a change too. :wink:

Anybody else using this combination? Thoughts about how the two machines can integrate?

Mark

Hell yea! I’ve just been sampling to the OP, then adding efx and sampling into ableton and using the simpler to chop and glide… Sooooooo much fun

Had a lot of fun with this a couple years back on Push 1. ‘Repeat mode’ is awesome… Used it on the drums in this little demo :slight_smile:

https://m.soundcloud.com/prgrms/op1-push

wait so, is it possible to play the OP-1’s sounds with the Push and recording that in a track on ableton? i can get the push to play OP-1’s sounds out of the OP-1, but i’m not sure how to route that audio back into an ableton track for direct recording.

wait so, is it possible to play the OP-1’s sounds with the Push and recording that in a track on ableton? i can get the push to play OP-1’s sounds out of the OP-1, but i’m not sure how to route that audio back into an ableton track for direct recording.
I guess you have to route the line out of the OP-1 into another track of Live, but it supposes that you have a sound interface with an input left…

Edit : to be more precise, I think you need to put a cable between the line out of the OP-1 and an input of your soundcard.

Yup op-1 audio out to sound Card in. Had lots of fun using push (when I had one) and the op-1. In fact I kind of miss it!

I’m not sure how routing the audio from the OP-1 to Ableton will allow the Push 2 to trigger OP-1 sounds.

Wouldn’t I need to make the OP-1 a midi slave or something?

If anyone is willing to give me an idiot proof guide I would be very grateful.

Hey kriller,
This video from Ableton pretty much covers the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GERbpM-fRBU
You’ll have to:
- correctly set-up your midi preferences
- use the “external instrument” device on an empty midi track and set it up to send midi to the op-1, and receive audio from the inputs of your audio interface where the OP-1 is plugged.
Keep me posted if you’re still having hard times figuring it out after watching the video, I’ll send you screenshots of my setup!

I am not a regular midi sync user…

But since I have met my friend @LyingDalai who’s my midi sync mentor, I have tried some midi USB sync with ableton push 2 JU-06 and OP-1. And it was pretty fun !

Nothing really complex, as I was just syncing the clock and controlling JU and OP through USB (no CC atm)… Here is a doodle example made for Jamuary2017 (please do not dwell on the abrupt drums :wink: )

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPsglWzg-Fl/

@artsun I’m interested by your “external instrument” trick ! I didn’t know about it :). Actually i’m just recording midi notes… With this plugin it’s recording midi notes and also the audio in Ableton ?

@quarantequatre it just records the midi notes. Here is the setup of the track, the device, and midi preferences:

Capture d’écran 2017-02-10 à 16.32.01

Capture d’écran 2017-02-10 à 16.32.20

Capture d’écran 2017-02-10 à 16.34.20

as far as I understand (just received the Push two days ago :)) if you want to record the audio you have to route it to a audio track. So my midi track “OP-1” would then have the “audio to” the audio track “OP-1 audio”, like this:

Capture d’écran 2017-02-10 à 16.35.51

Right now, if I try to record both the midi sequence by playing the Push and the audio out from the OP-1, I’m still a bit bothered by the monitoring, and by the “fixed length” function which seems to be buggy - you have to de-activate and re-activate it while you’re recording or it doesn’t work.

These explanations are a bit messy but I hope it helps!

Hey @quarantequatre my friend I’m always in for a MIDI/Ableton lesson on site :smiley:

Don’t hesitate to ask me.
I even accept a beer while I show you this in person :smiley:

But basically it’s Ableton MIDI track =USB=> OP-1 =audio=> Ableton Audio track
You can even get two separate mono outs from the OP-1 and get a Tape loop running on Left while Ableton is playing the instrument on the Right.
Or use these separate outputs to add some FX…

BTW I used Link recently to synchronize to Ableton sessions, it was a blessing !!
So now I have to find a way to get my iConnectMIDI4+ to synchronize towards Live without a cable…

So now I have to find a way to get my iConnectMIDI4+ to synchronize towards Live without a cable...

Curious what you mean by this. I have just set up iConnectMIDI4+ to Live and all my equipment. But if there is a better way, I’d love to know! I just use a Mac with Live. I used the iCM4+ software to set each device to have a specific name. Then in Live I created a template that has all of the MIDI tracks for my devices set up and ready to go.

@GCF most of the time the ICM4 is just a standalone USB hub hidden under a pile of cables… I don’t have much room for a computer next to it.
Anyway I might have been a bit foolish, hard week / need sleep :wink:

@quarantequatre & @lyingdalai would you guys be in Lyon in march 10th to 12th ? If so, would you like to grab a beer at berthom or somewhere ?

Seems feasible indeed :smiley:
I have something planned for Saturday evening but otherwise I’m in !
And especially if a jam is planned !