OP-1 and Roland JD-Xi

Hi Guys,

Probably a really dumb question but I’m a noob…

Recently bought a Roland JD-Xi (which I’m REALLY impressed with for the money) I also have the Volca Sample, Keys and Base, and wondered what the simplest way is to connect them all together so they are in sync, would I need to use a laptop, could it be done with an android tablet ?

Any help appreciated…

Alan

You’d probably want to get the oplab. You’d be able to MIDI sync the JD-XI, CV sync the Volcas, and USB sync the OP

Check also iConnectMIDI4+ : you loose the CV side but you expand the MIDI possibilities = better control over the Volcas.

If I may, check Elektron Machinedrum or Octatrack to control all this from an advanced MIDI sequencer :slight_smile:

or a beatstep pro, more functions, cheaper! I saw one at my local shop today. maybe it’s a little bit big, but it has pads, three seqs, lots of trigger outs, clock out, midi, cv outs, usb - Yay!!!
I read in contrast to the normal beatstep it doesn’t need a host, it’s his own host…

or a beatstep pro, more functions, cheaper! I saw one at my local shop today. maybe it's a little bit big, but it has pads, three seqs, lots of trigger outs, clock out, midi, cv outs, usb - Yay!!!
I read in contrast to the normal beatstep it doesn't need a host, it's his own host....

The OP-1 will still need a USB Host to MIDI device in order to be a part of this setup. All of the other devices have MIDI DIN connectors, which would be good with the Beatstep Pro. But the OP-1 will need to be accessible by MIDI DIN to work with this. I think the confusion (and I don’t own a Beatstep Pro, so could only look at specs and details), is that while the BP is its own ‘host’ in terms of being a computer capable of generating MIDI clock and controlling other devices, it is not a USB Host (again, please link to something if I have missed it). Best bet for a MIDI only environment is either the iConnect4MIDI+ for full MIDI routing or Kenton MIDI USB Host with a MIDI multiplier for only clock distribution.

Sounds possible that it’s not, by the way I read the article about the BSP again and I’m wrong anyway because it seems that it takes USB and the Port is the power provider at the same time. I couldn’t find any other power in so far. From that view it’s impossible to connect the OP. Fxxxing Usb midi. Who invented that for midi?