Battle 36 - Stakes Is High

for this battle the STAKES IS HIGH!

rules:

SAMPLING (required):

sample any De La Soul record within their discography, or original source record that De La Soul sampled based on these queries:

also allowed are any samples from De La Soul interviews based on this query:

sample to Tape, Drum or Synth. resampling and processing with internal Functions, FX and LFOs is encouraged.

beyond the De La Soul sample sources above, no other external audio is allowed.

OP-1 INTERNAL (required):

additional OP-1 internal Synth or Drum use:

use of 1 Synth is required, but no more than 2 Synths may be used. (Cluster & DNA, or String & DSynth, for example).

any and all Drum engines can be used, but aren't required.

use of all internal Functions, FX and LFOs are encouraged.

MASTER (required):

all tracks require to be recorded and edited to Tape and bounced to Album within your lovely OP-1. no external DAWs.

BONUS (not required):

one additional Bonus step below is the only exception to the rules above, and is optional:

1. copy one Tape Track via USB to your computer. ONLY ONE TRACK & ONE BOUNCE! (no multiple round trips)
2. play the Tape track through the audio out of your computer.
3. computer audio out can be processed using through external Hardware FX and sampled back to Tape, Drum or Synth.
- multiple takes is ok, if you are trying to match something up/drop the audio in particular place back into OP-1

only external Hardware FX are OK for the bonus step (no external synth or drum machine samples/patches). OTO machines, Strymons, Guitar pedal Delays, Chorus, whatever...but limited to FX!

resampling and processing internally after the single bounce is allowed.

DESCRIPTION (required):

you must describe your process as best you can, including your sample sources, which one/two synths and drum engines you used, and what FX hardware you used if you decide to apply the bonus FX bouncing step.

DEADLINE & GIVEAWAY:

"stakes is high” because I will giveaway a brand new Hardware device to the winner. details to come once Voting ensues.

submissions by sept 5, 23:59 PM (HST) - Aloha.

Sorry, total newby here: how do I enter the battle and how do I submit a song? Thanks!

@yrn001 - probably the easiest way is to upload a track to Soundcloud, and then to post your submission to this thread using the basic URL of that song’s Soundcloud page.

@kln thanks!

love it! do people sample the music Del La Soul sampled or do we sample De La Soul? I.E. Johnny cash or three feet high and rising…

@dimi3 - both is acceptable. and you can sample as much material from those sources as you’d like. you can sample a different part of a record than what De La Soul sampled as well. so Johnny Cash singing “2 feet high and rising”, for example, from “five feet high and rising” is legit.

rock on!!

What a cool battle! May I suggest an additional bonus to these great battles?

I would like to offer the winning artist a mix down and master of their triumphant track. Of course it’s up to the battle organiser. In addition, I propose a separate soundcloud account for the victorious works of the Op-1 battle contenders.

How does that sound?

PS. I will enter the battles once I get around to using the amazing Op-1 in a proficient manner.

HMD

…I should also add that I love the sound of the Op-1 and aim to stay as close as possible to its original sound. I intend on losing none of it’s character, I would like to enhance the sounds that you guys have created. If it is decided that it is a good idea then I’d like to proceed, however there will be some little preferences that MAY require a little extra fiddling but I figure that should be cool as we all like to have a little fiddle, right?!

@Cityscapes is ok to upload your premastered file and use it as an example? I’d also like to use employ the method we used as it felt so natural and organic. :slight_smile:

@dimi3 - both is acceptable. and you can sample as much material from those sources as you'd like. you can sample a different part of a record than what De La Soul sampled as well. so Johnny Cash singing "2 feet high and rising", for example, from "five feet high and rising" is legit.

For clarity, when you say “record”, I assume you mean “track”, and not “album”. That is, I can’t use Steely Dan’s “Home At Last”, if De La didn’t use it, just because it’s on the same album as “Black Cow” (which they do use), right?

Cool plan.

@unflattered - yeah, just the one track, not the whole album.

i’m not familiar with the track that De La Soul sampled “Black Cow”, however. but the track that they sample “Peg” for is one of my favs of all time. maybe it’s a bootleg? please let me know if you know of one, as I would like to check it out!

Can the next contest be ‘nature sounds’? Try to make the sounds of nature and the animal kingdom without using the sampler.

Can the next contest be 'nature sounds'? Try to make the sounds of nature and the animal kingdom without using the sampler.

If you win then you get to set the rules for the next competition :slight_smile:

@kln what a quality submission man !!

:slight_smile:

@LyingDalai - thanks! did you mean the rules for battle 36, or the battle 35 track? hope you can create something for this one, as i’ve quite enjoyed your others. good luck!

@kln liking this brief and going to get stuck in. It’s kinda the same brief that I’d always wanted to set if I ever won except the sources would be DJ Shadow and the music he’s sampled. So damn you :stuck_out_tongue: If I won I’d have to think of something different haha.

So many great DLS songs and sampled songs to be chosen from. So many classics, rarities and strangeties in there!

@LyingDalai - thanks! did you mean the rules for battle 36, or the battle 35 track? hope you can create something for this one, as i've quite enjoyed your others. good luck!

Right I’m not clear : I liked your track, but I loved your brief ^^

Can the next contest be 'nature sounds'? Try to make the sounds of nature and the animal kingdom without using the sampler.

Yo fella!

I managed to find this for you. It’s a link to an oldish thread that people used to share and encourage more battle ideas. I must say I do like the sound of your idea. Especially as the Op-1 has a built in mic so recording samples sitting in a park would also be easy and muchos funos!
I also like the sound of this battle, there are many gems to be found whilst traveling outside the realm of ones “comfort zone”.

:slight_smile:

@kln

submissions by sept 5, 23:59 PM (HST) - Aloha.

So September 06 at 04:59 (CT)?

^ planning a last minute late night to finish? :wink:

Most of the time the deadline isn’t an exact cut-off point. No one will be pulling together all the entries at midnight, it usually happens the next day. If you are a matter of hours late then it isn’t really going to matter.